rough noise after ignition

Recently when i start the car it turns over ok and the engine runs but immediately after there is a short burst of rough sound from under the bonnet - a bit like a grinding noise. My initial thought is starter motor sticking but would appreciate any thoughts from more mechanically minded members!

Only noticed it so far when left overnight or longer.

Thanks

on a k11 i'd get a brief cam chain noise on cold starts due to insufficient oil pressure for 3secs then it smooths out once enough pressure builds

Same happened on the Primera SR20DE, the timing chain would sometimes make a rattly/grindy noise for a couple of seconds at most while the oil started circulating. It was worse on cold mornings, and if the car had sat for a while.

Can you pinpoint whereabouts the noise is coming from?

Haven't stuck my head under the bonnet to work out a location yet. As I recall, the starter motor is hard to get to.

If it turns out to be the timing chain, does it need replacing then?? I know that will be expensive!

Haven't stuck my head under the bonnet to work out a location yet. As I recall, the starter motor is hard to get to.

If it turns out to be the timing chain, does it need replacing then?? I know that will be expensive!

the CR,s throw up a crank/cam sensor faultcode long before it gets stretched enough to rattle greg

If you get an assistant to start the car while you lean over the engine you should be able to identify what side of the engine the noise is from.

Timing chain=drivers side
Passenger side=starter

Easy!:laugh:

Certainly the Primera noise wasn't an issue, it was just a couple of seconds of rattle while the chain settled in and got a coating of oil. From what you described it sounds likely the same issue - especially as it does not continue beyond a brief moment.

Back