Help! NATS Problem...

CMF_devilstickz

» CMF Member
Hi guys,

I rewired the headlights yesterday because I had the old melted fusebox problem, so I took the two red wires and the large white and blue wire off the fusebox and spliced in two in-line fuse holders with 15 amp fuses. Put it all back together and the headlights work fine now.

However, when I try to start the engine the check engine light flashes (a NATS problem). The first time the engine actually fired up then died after a couple of seconds, now it won't start at all (starter motor turns but engine won't catch). The light flashes whenever the ignition is turned on.

When I reconnected the battery after the wiring there was a spark from one of the terminals, could I have fried something?

I tried leaving the battery disconnected overnight but the problem is still there.

If anyone has any ideas or has had a similar problem I would be very grateful for any advice...

Thanks
John
(at least the headlights work now, eh?)

CMF_Madrabbit

» CMF Member
Ummm. Definately sounds like the immobiliser isn't recognising the key.

The only way I know round this is to get the car to your local Nissan dealer and get the key/s recoded.

It normally takes about 10 minutes, but they'll probably want to charge you a half hours labour!

Chat up one of the mechanics, plead poverty, it sometimes works!

Good luck

CMF_devilstickz

» CMF Member
Thanks Madrabbit,

any idea why this would suddenly have happened? The battery was only off for 30 minutes or so and I've had it disconnected before with no problems- could I have confused the NATS somehow? It wouldn't do any good to try my spare key, would it (easier said than done as key is a long way away)?

Thanks
John

CMF_Madrabbit

» CMF Member
Your spare key may work.
Sometimes these things "just happen" (Techno baffle).
I'm assuming it's an earlier model with a red chip in a square key fob - without remote central locking?
I used to work at a Nissan dealership and I had a few people in with keys that had lost their code.
Apparently strong electro-magnetic influences can cause this - radar, x-ray, body scanning equipment in hospitals etc.

Back