Rocker Cover Problem

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Right i went to take this off to put the new painted one on. But after getting all but 4 screws Off i had to put em all back in otherwise no car for a while. Reason because even though i WD-40'd em like loads the others came off easy when the others just cross threaded. Now 3 outta the 4 have nothing to grip with a screwdriver so ill have to drill em out. I need to know what size screws i need to replace the ones..

failing that ill have to go scrappies and nick 4 from a micra lol.

Nothings ever easy to mod or change on a micra! :(

hey mate i just got that same problem wiv my rocker cover only the other day(tuesday) i did'nt no how to get the rounded screws out or wot to do after (i have loads of screws from push bikes and stuff i collected) i was just gonna try them in a hole where the screw comes out but wot an idea i will go 2 scrappie 2morrow as i hav to go anyway 4something else. COOL

i will post some pics up soon as i got a few new mods done (only little mods like my bump strip glue wich has been on 4 ages and also my new exhaust from richmicratwista.oh and a colour coded wiper blade)

then hopefully my rocker cover too.

Andy_S said:
when the others just cross threaded. Now 3 outta the 4 have nothing to grip with a screwdriver so ill have to drill em out.

If they are crossed threaded you will find that the actual threads on the block are gone too. Also if you are drilling out the old bolts, you will need it tapped and threaded again to accept a new bolt.

Had to tap and thread mine when i put my rocker cover on after JAE. Always seems to happen to thoses botls as i guess its the heat. Cheers to Wayne & his Dad for that!!

no sorry guys i meant the screw head had rounded off. Therefore cannot undo the screw. as youve said though ill have to retap the holes :(

had this problem in a scrappy. used a scafold pole to snap the heads off but i suppose that doesn't help.

if there is still some hope then get a really good impact driver. there is no screw i haven't been able to undo with an impact driver.

the bolts on the 1.6 cover diddn't even seem to be tight at all! they came straight off. same with a 1.0 lx in the scrappy it was only when it came to the 1.3 that i wanted the cams out off that i rounded nearly every screw!!

i shall see what i can do then mate. I know cousin works at kwik fit and they will have a impact driver :)

try using a hammer to bang it out (using a chisel/flat head screwdriver on edge of bolt), thats how i got a rounded bolt off my tb once

Andy_S said:
i shall see what i can do then mate. I know cousin works at kwik fit and they will have a impact driver :)

try a hand driven one first because i find the air powered ones can be kinda violent

also if all else fails get a dremal and cut a notch in the top of the bolt to turn it into a flat blade screw

or even cut the sides off and turn it into a hex nut...

it's probably best to replace the bolts with something stronger. i'm replacing mine with torx screws when i change my cam cover...

cheers for info guys. i have been wondering all day on how to get the screws out.
i been 2 scrappi and just got some screws from another k11 that were loose

and looked absolutly perfect(wiv a little oil lol) hope i can get this done

2morro as i'd love it i cant wait will post pics up wen done

just thought i'd add to this rather than make my own..
I tried masking off the engine bay to paint the rockercover in situe, WAY to fiddly, so i'll take it off and do it.

What size are the bolts holding the rocker cover on? I assume I'm gonna need more of these after.

Also, What are the pipes going into it? Safe enough to disconnect without leaking anything everywhere? These i've highlighted grren in the picture:

s4020213a8vj.jpg

Thanks

ok thanks, and also, the clips that hold the leads.. how do you remove them? Or cant you?

I tried pulling one off earlier and snapped it :doh:

urm i just used some pliers to pull the two bits sticking up together (to loosen the clip) then slid it along the pipe abit out the way.

just make sure to put the clips back when you've done :p

Sorry, i ment the other clips, that hold the spark plug (HT?) leads.. They're on stalks sticking out of the cover.. Are these removable?

maybve there not HT leads.. i was guessing :) damn me trying to look smart..ish..

The leads that run to the spark plugs. The 4 that plug into the top of the rockercover

yep they are HT leads, so you were right ;) my car just uses coilpacks instead becuase its a later model, they might be pull out those clips your talking about, might want to find out for sure first though

WOOOO i was right :)

Erm, i tried pulling them out, and snapped one off, so figure they dont pull out.. lol

But, i just went and loosened all the screws holding the rocker cover on, and they loosened fine, no sheared heads etc. I'm gonna leave it for a little bit to cool down more before i take it off though, but it's looking hopeful :)

I keep meaning too.. but never get round to it.

Where i work (Halfords) only have haynes manuals up to 98. Mines the facelift model past that. Ebay time me thinks :D

I'll post pics once the paintings done, thanks for the help

wob_ert said:
I keep meaning too.. but never get round to it.

Where i work (Halfords) only have haynes manuals up to 98. Mines the facelift model past that. Ebay time me thinks :D

I'll post pics once the paintings done, thanks for the help
if you work at halfords, then you should be able to order one in. the latest haynes manual for a micra goes from '93 upto 52 reg.

blooming hell mate i been reading this post and hav to laugh (im sorry i musnt really as we all here to help our fellow(and women) micra owners)

anyway first of all the pipes onto rocker cover are fine to move they wont leak. the clips on the rocker cover twist off like screws.

The big one at the front with HT leads in it comes in half
to remove the leads push top half left or right and hold bottom half firm and it will slide open there you go then undo ya rocker screws and away you go.

here is a site which also tells ya how to do this
http://www.mightymicra.co.uk

click on exterior mods tab at the top of the screen then near bottom on left side menu click on rocker cover.

sorry i got no pics on 2 help ya but i havent got round to doing that yet

the site doesnt tell you how to remove it.. It's how to paint it in situe, so :p lol.

I knew how to remove the HT leads, i just wanted to check nothing was going to leak everywhere.. Cant see how thats funny really?

yeah the Haynes states the procedure of removing screws in a certain order, think its to relaese pressure evenly?? but it says you MUST take them off and put them back on using the procedure... screws are numbered in picture and you put the same screw back in the same place....

but as so many people have said it always ends up to be only a few that are stubborn...

ahhh i had this problem when i painted my rocker cover, its cause sum one at nissan decided to use screws instead bolts lol. i had three screws that i rounded of so i just put i small slice in the screw head with a small hack saw blade the just used a flat screwdriver. also when i put it back on after painting i used allen key bolts and they work brill :) aint got any pics on me now beacuse im at college but i will post one of my rocker painted. looks well good, like a baby vzr

Back