Hex Bolts for Rocker Cover?

Can anyone point me to the hex bolts people are using instead of the terrible Phillips head screws that hold the rocker cover on? I've been searching but to no avail, everyone with a painted cover seems to have changed them and after half an hour of swearing and nearly rounding every screw, I can see why... I've only got ONE off so far :mad:

my preferred tool for those rubbish philips screws is a good fitting impact driver. if that rounds off, I cut a slot across the head with a dremel and use the flathead bit on the impact driver. then throw those rubbish rusty rounded screws out.

my preferred tool for those rubbish philips screws is a good fitting impact driver. if that rounds off, I cut a slot across the head with a dremel and use the flathead bit on the impact driver. then throw those rubbish rusty rounded screws out.
Thanks! I'll try and find someone with an impact I can use if a larger head screwdriver and a good soak doesn't get them.

I had to do the dremmel and flathead method on my old van which for some reason had security bolts holding the half width ladder bulkhead on o_O What a pig of a job that was.

Impact didn't work, but the impact bit and a hammer was solid enough to free the bolt which seemed to be welded on! I made sure I anti siezed the new ones.

Hi Fobby mate,

I renewed all my rocker cover Phillips bolts with zinc plated Hex's instead of stainless steel ones because a marine engineer friend of mine warned me that aluminium (engine) and stainless steel cause a reaction when mated together! IMHO the zinc plated hex bolts look as good and do the same job and are cheaper! :)

* Don't forget to torque them!

Andy :D

Back