Road trip - New arrival March ST (well old now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Road trip - New arrival March ST

Yeah, then lamped it into the back of a lanos, korean piece of ****e! Hav to get it all rebuilt, too rare to go get new parts! Its worth it tho, it wud hav to be to a micra enthusiast!

Well today im going to attempt to cut out all the metal framework out the back of the bonnet, so I can clean it up porperly, then I shall welld it back in with the knowledge that it shouldnt return any time soon (I HOPE!!!!!!)

Ed

if your cutting the frame ED.
do u not want me to supply u some carbon fibre so u can make a carbon fibre bonnet :D
then simply reattach the frame then.

u know u want to and i can do you soe good deals. at around £20 a meter of the carbon fibre. and its just as easy as fibrglassing!!

u know u want it:p

Whoa, finally get on the new forums!

The road trip was a cool experience and all the miles were not a problem, well not if you're picking up an ST ;) All I could have asked for was a more powerful 4x4. I checked the specs on those Terrano II's and that one was shot. They have more power than my mums landy and that would have out pulled the Terrano any day.

Looks good Ed, if you need some mech assistance, give me a shout and I'll be right down :)

In the end I decided not to cut the frame. It would have been more trouble than it was worth. It still took a whole day to prepare the thing though. It now has the first layer of primer on both sides. Hopefully by the end of the week it will be finished. I shall then get hold of a boot and spray that next, then the doors and finally ill do the rest of the shell. Ed

Are you gpoing to keep the march 'tits' or do the bumper like a micra, or even get a bumper without the 'tits'?

I dont know yet. I may move the rear lights back the the same position as a normal march, but I had problems with the size of the last numberplate as police said it was illegal even though it was impossible to put any other plate on it.

This may interest a few people. At the end of the year I may consider selling this car. This is an early warning as the chances are fair that I will as I want it to fund the black one, and so chances are good and you may want to save early. So bear this in mind, I'll be blunt now that it will go to whoever offers the most not who comes first, in a semi auction style bid. I'm also aware of their value when in good condition (which by then it will be). If it doesnt reach what I want then I may try further afield or keep it. I'll think about it more in time, but I thought I would post this now.

just out of interest what kind of ball park figure are you looking at??

not sure yet, ill not decide untill the project is finished.

IMG_4287.jpg

Today I had a go at spraying the bonnet, didnt really goto plan, to many imperfections show up, so im going to sand it back and have another go. Also this silver metalic I have really is very hard to spray. So oh well may as well do it right, so back to square one.

Ill get it right eventually.

not bad for a first go with metalic paint ED, however i was shocked neigh appaled with that dodgy bit on rimmers front bumper :p hang your head in shame lol

Like to see you do better :p :p :p hehe. You should know that if you get a run you LEAVE it and cut it back later!

lol @ you two fighting over the work on my car.

anymore news ed, tis a good read this thread.

Not yet- will have tomorrow. Basically im going to sand the bonnet back to metal on the top side and have ago again. If it doesnt go well I will try a different brand of paint as im not using what I would usually.

hehe,, deframed my bonnet today :D

was relatively very easy ed. though i recomend having a spare bonnet :p
so as u can cut it back slightly on either way obviously cut the one on the good bonnet into the framwork thenm cut the spare bonnet frame back to the bonnet and unfold them.

thay aint actually welded on in NE place at all.
they are folded over at the edges of the bonnet and sealed and also sealant around in certain places throughout the frame work

i also found the hinges im conna use today so they are being sent away to be chromed aswell.

hopefully this bonnet will look the bizz and OEm aswell :D

i believe it is worth it ed i found RUST on m bonnet :O i was shocked

It's not worth it on a bonnet that you couldn't get a replacment for. The sealent that you have is along all the seams in this bonnet. I did have a go but there are spot welds on mine.

Ed

Ok more latest:

Today I got a pile of sanding items from halfords. I sanded the bonnet back to bear metal which I would have had pics had the camera I had been using not been playing up. Anyway I undercoated the bonnet, allowed it to try and then sanded it back very lightly and put on the first of 3 top coats of metalic silver. After this I put on the laquer top coat. This was all done precisly to the recommended info, however again it didnt goto plan. It does nearly look spot on, however the metalic flakes in the paint are not at consistant angles, and so I will probably have another go possibly later this weekend. I think one of the major problems I am having is with how cold the garage is. The paints are not designed to be used in 4-5 deg conditions, and even with 2000 watts of halogen light/heat its not getting up much heat to help the paint set between coats. Other than the metalic being in odd directions the finish is so much better than last time. If I can crack this paint it will look very very nice indeed. Ill take a photo tomorrow.

Ed

Ed, If by any chance you do sell the ST at the right time you know I'm looking at getting one in the future anyway, so you know where I am lol :p :)

Kev

Yeah i have a list now. I need the money from it to fix the other one so it will be an auction type thing :s

No body work for today - its too cold im now convinced that is what is causing my problems. So I made a short video of it running again in daylight. P.s. the steam is normal :) as I said its very cold and the engine had been running for 15 mins :)

heres the link: www.micra.org.uk/videos/Strunning.wmv

...that looks mint that ed - love the supercharger light.. heh... what a beast...

Ok more progress:
http://www.micra.org.uk/videos/bonnet.wmv The bonnet is much better now take a look how it is now from this short video :)

Ed

Most people use photos - but Ed goes all the way and produces a video.

Looking great :)

cheers, its quite mad paint hardest thing I have sprayed so far - by far. it really shows the shape of the bonnet well though. Im doing the doors and bodykit now.

Ed

Ok the car is in the garage now check this out..

http://www.micra.org.uk/videos/ekspray.wmv

Ed

"guys in suits who carry golf umbrellas" - wwwhhhaaat?!

haha, looking good anyway Ed.

No idea ignore that was half way through a radio advert or something. Coming on though :) :)

Ed

its comin on grand ed! i love seeing a wrecked car coming back to life!
kep up the excellent work!

should be a real test of your painting skills ed best of luck mate im sure youll do a proper good job look forward to seeing it finsihed :D

:):)

Aint followed this topic for a while now but I'm really impressed with the amount of progress that has been made with it!!! Looks like your doing a great job and the bonnet looks fab. :D Nice one Ed, its coming on good. Hehe, go on Kev you know you want to buy it... its also going to a good cause aswell, to get the other ST back on the road lol. :p Would be kool to have 2 sweet looking ST's on the stands at the shows for sure. Can't wait to see the finished product. Should be quality mate. :) Keep us updated though. ;)

Since this video was done, the car is now sanded back and is ready for the final undercoat, both front wings have their first undercoat on them and have been cleaned up loads, now I need to clean under the arches before I bolt the wings back on and then do the front of the car in primer for rust protection then I can do the final undercoat sand it all back AGAIN. I hope to have achieved this all by thurs night. By sunday I hope to have the car done in top coat and ready to go out of the garage then I can do the doors - boot and finally body kit
phew
still loads to do,, I am making good progres though.

flipping 'eck you are a busy man. i hear you have ork to do this week end also, with that and the ST rebuild, oh and hows the quad's coming on the MA lol so much on you are crazy.

the car looks so much better already and i cant wait to see it finished, i agree kev should buy this. top job and good luck with the rest

and all this in JUST over a month. jees

Dave

Dave

Thanks dave,
didnt get any further today was called out to a job doh. Hoping to get ALOT more done over the weekend I want it ready for spraying SOON, not enough time to hang about - it must be out of the garage ASAP so I can get onto the rest of the car - I have also pretty much decided that as soon as this car is out and done im going to spray the black ST to get that done and out of the way. Makes sense to do it all at once when im set up and ready for it - just need to find the ££. Supplies are atually quite expensice!

Ed

this may be a daft question but is the black ST gonna stay black or is it going to be a different colour, i remember you pondering the mg blue colour for a bit or is this gonna be a secret lol.

im sure james can help you out with some funds for the supplies.

whats left to do on the No.2 ST (silver one) once its sprayed, just the engine or is there suspension and brake issues to ammend?

after the white/silver one is done it will need full engine service and alot of tidying up. it needs new fuel lines and the under of thecar needs to be sealed from the elements. suspension is ok i think. Brakes seem fine also i have already sorted the rear ones they are fine.

Ed

Today the project changed direction, the plan was at first to only respray the shell and do the engine bay some time later in the year. I decided today that there was no point to that, so now the engine is all disconnected all the pipes are undone plugs disconnected and it will be out tomorrow. then the engine bay is going to get the full treatment as well as the rest of the car this project is quickly getting quite huge now. Whilst the engine is out im going to strip and blast the ancalleries then paint them etc. The ultimate plan being that the engine bay will nearly look brand new.. will this be done before donny .. hmm i hope so!

Here are some pics from today.

Engine is now out, removed as one piece and has been put aside until its ready to be cleaned and put back in the car!! :)

Ed

nice work ed im sure this ST's gonna be worth lots of money for all the time your putting into it :D

It should look great and nearly brand new after I have done!

:| did you not mask of the engine bay when you sprayed the rest :S hmm

im sure you know what your doing ;)

yes I did thanks! :) The engine bay will be empty this evening, and should I hope also be primed :)

Ed

[attachment=419]
Engine bay is looking like this now.....

Ok check this out, even more has been removed. There is now nothing else possible to take out from the engine bay and this is what it now looks like after 4 hours of cleaning...

[attachment=423]

Ed

wow this car is going to be amazing when its finshed :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back