Road trip - New arrival March ST (well old now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Today I collected another March ST. Some know that I was due to get it, but I didnt make anything of it incase for what ever reason it never actually happened. Anyway it did, and I am now the owner of another white March ST.

Todays diary lol :)

Dave S arrived at mine at 7.15 am, after a quick bit of breakfast we headed off to Maidstone in kent to pick up a hire 4x4 and trailer. We arrived at the hire place around 8.30, filled in a ton of paperwork, and finally got the keys after a bit of messing about the hire company found the right numberplates for the trailer and we headed off about 9.30am towards Northampton.

dave-jpg.26

Dave driving the 4x4. (I'm not over 25 which is required for insurance).

We arrived near Northampton at around 11.30 where we stopped off for some lunch. Check out the size of the trailer I hired. It was totally MASSIVE. Infact we pulled up against a double decker bus and we were longer than it was!!

img_4055-jpg.27

Massive trailer! This was great fun down some narrow roads o_O

Anyway we finally arrived at the destination around 1.15 where we met Jonny the previous owner of the ST. After a quick inspection a bit of chatting money changed hands and the car was loaded back onto the trailer.

march2-jpg.30

img_4076-jpg.34

Finally we were back at my place around half 4 giving us an hour to unload and get the trailer and 4x4 back to the hire place. We achieved this with just 10 mins to spare. In total in the 4x4 we covered 270 miles and in total total 350 odd - and for dave probably more near 400!! So a very long day!

Anyway more on the car,

The picures are not very clear, but the car is in a pretty poor condition on the outside. There are a few rust holes in the body work in very strange places (boot lid for one) and several rust patches on the car. It basically looks like somone sanded the paint work with the intention to do some work on it, but never did so it went rusty. The engine is in one piece, but the pipework is in bits. The interiour looks very nice, but has mould on the roof and glass. Tomorrow I intend to clean up the inside and do a full body inspection on the outside. Until all this is complete I dont know what I will be doing with it just yet but I am NOT planning to break it for parts - so please dont ask, If I for some reason change my mind I shall post here first.

Anyway thats all for now, just want to say thanks to Dave S for helping me out today, Cheers mate! and I will post more here when I know it.

Ed

RE: Road trip - New arrival March ST

Nice one mate!!! Lucky lad having two of them beasts. Glad you got it ok, will be very interested to see what you are gunna do with it. :D Congrats lol. :)

I cant believe you've managed to get another one! look forward to seeing more pictures etc as you do them.

out of interest, how much did this ST set you back?

Ian

That i am not saying sorry :) It was a fair amount by the time I had got it home.

ek10-11-jpg.50

Above is one of the rust holes. Lots of bits like this need attention.

Yeah, that is a bit of an odd place for rust on the K10. That trailor is mahoosive! Don't think I would like towing that down the motorway.

so what's your overall plan for it Ed? You gonna get both March ST's in full working order eventually or what?

Not sure yet im going to look at it today and see how bad the shell is.

Great stuff Ed :)

interested to see how it will turn out for you. Should be a very promising year for you, lot's of car bits to play with anyway lol ;)

Kev

RE: RE: Road trip - New arrival March ST

Ed said:
That i am not saying sorry :) It was a fair amount by the time I had got it home.

yea but was it wurth it? :D

chie : jealous git :p

Indeed I have it running - ok it is rough BUT it is running all the same. I need to get it to idle properly now. I fitted the intake system from the other ST jst to see if it would work. pics will arrive soon.

Ed

what's the other colour? blue?

A dark green IIRC

Good stuff ED, looks lovely in white :)

Ok well i finally got it to idle ok, however let it warm up and before it reached running temp it blew a hose Ill look at that tomorrow.
I have to say though there is something very addictive about the way an ST idles. Its hard to describe but very cool.

Not quite sure what people mean by colours unless you mean my other ST which was metalic black.

Ed

Can't wait to see it running on the roads.
Going to bring back some memories.

The colours the ST comes in are

Black, White and a type of light Green :)

Btw excellent avatar Jo, photo looks great.

Ed, fancy bring the March to Donny hehe j/k

Kev

ST colours
White
Met black
Mint Green
Purple

:) Kev - you never know :) I do plan to be there. This ST needs alot of body work. Im going to replace the boot, its not worth fixing. full respray? (non stripdown) im considering it..

new images:

[attachment=51]
as I got it, in bits old inlet manifold hanging off the engine.

[attachment=52]
All back together to a certain extent with my black St inlet manifold and injectors. I removed all the emission filtering pipework, as its old and really doesnt do much any mroe except cause problems. I also removed the SC changover pipework, im going to find a better way to do that.

[attachment=53]
Black march ST intake manifold.

ek10-11-jpg.56

trying to remove engine bits :)

I'll say here what I said on MSN, "As it kicked in, i found myself uncontrollably smiling" :laugh:

Great stuff!

more pics

The pea shooter exhaust
ek10-06-jpg.43

Compared to the other ST's aftermarket one...
ek10-96-jpg.44

Finally the state of the bonnet.
ek10-05-jpg.45

More to follow im sure.

ek10-07-jpg.46

This is factroy fitted!! Why brown? very odd....

ek10-08-jpg.47

Rust on the back of the boot...

ek10-09-jpg.48

Boot seems ok so far - Ive not check the floor however...

ek10-10-jpg.49

Interiour does seem very nice, but has a few wierd bits on it like grey door handles ?!!

ek10-11-jpg.50

more rust on the boot !!

the body work is a bit poor isn't it! interior does look good though! looks very modern too.

certainly sounds good though!

keep up the good work Ed!

Well I found out where the leak was. Basically the metal pipe that runs along the front of the MA series engines that takes water to the water pump was compleatly rotten where the pipes are rolled and sealed. I had to remove all the sludge clean and remove the rust to reveal the 3 inches by 1mm hole in the length of the pipe. I have now welded this and shall fit it back to see if that solves the problem.

Ed

Exellent another ST, it would make a great track day car ;)

wow, sounds nie, looks nice! they nippy? neva seen any figs for them

930cc 110bhp stock.

Ed

I cleaned out all the insides today, it doesnt look too bad at all inside now. In doing so I also found a second ECU where the stock one would be. I think its probably a Nismo one :) as the previous owner said they had one somwhere :)

yeah those seats look nice ;)

Hi,

Looks in reasonably good nick in the photo's, despite those few rust spots. Nothing a good valet would sort out. :)

It almost reminds me of when I got my Skyline, on the back of a low-loader. :D The low-loader which mine was brought on, could only just fit my car on though, lol. :D

-Elliot

Hope you let us know your progress with this ST ed, I for one will thoroughly enjoy reading it. :)

The rust is beyond a valet. It needs a respray, In a months time it should be all silver :)

Ed

Glad to see some are finding this interesting..

here is more from today:

[attachment=68]
Ok here goes this pipe is a water pipe to the inlet of the wate pump. I had rotted through in loads of places. Bascially its a rolled steel tube. It had rotted through one of the seams along the bottom intotal about 3-4 inches by 1-1.5mm. The green was where I set the welder speed and power, then the red stripes within the red circles are what was welded.

[attachment=69]

[attachment=70]

[attachment=71]

First pic if it at home.

I've moved the topic here now its getting to more general K10 stuff. Today I inspected the floor of the car. For the most part its fine nothing worrying there, some bits need attention for future proogfing. The fuel lines are rotted and will need replacing the break pipes however are fine.
I then ajusted the back brakes, They are now spot on. Its so much nicer having a K10 with decent hand brake. Finally I then started work on the bonnet, Thats in quite a state. It will need a fair bit of work to treat all the rust on that. Im considering cutting out all the back frame on it so that I can get to the hidden bits of the rust. I dont want it to come back anytime soon after that is compleated. No pics today. Im sure i'll have more soon.

Great stuff Ed!!! Nice to see you are making really good progress. :)

Bonnet I hope will at least be in primer by the end of the weekend.

looks great, looks like i joined at the perfect time 2 c the transformation! I drive a superturbo lookalike, crashed it last friday but im gona get it fixed, despite the chassis leg being out of shape, luckily i know a genious pannel beater who is gona look after me! Id luv 2 get a st engine transplant! I enjoyed watching da vid of u startin up the st ed, its gona b a beast! gud luck!

I've seen the pics of your ST-alike on cardomain, you got the bits so cheap! Lucky person!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back