Revs at motorway speeds

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Hiya all
I have been driving my new Micra for 4 days now and loving it.
Most days i do 30ish miles, 20 of which are on the motorway.
It seems quite happy at 70mph but I am used to trucking along at 80+ in my old VW T4.
I have been pushing the Micra upto 80 today on the downhills but the engine was screaming a bit :)
At these speeds, what sort of revs is the engine doing and what would be a sensible motorway cruising speed to maintain for longer periods.
It's a 1.0 by the way with 39k on the clock
Ta

well i put a tachometer in my micra, and if i remember rightly, doing 70 is around 4k rpm, it limits at around 6.5k rpm but i pushed my micra off the clock, went past 110mph, i dont think it does the car any good but it can do it

iirc the preface 1.0 has a 4.05 diff, the facelift 1.0 a 4.46 diff and the 1.3 a 3.9 diff
so it should range from 3 to 4k @70 mph depending which model and tyres used

with 195/50/15 tyres my 1.3 slx does bout 2.8k at 60, 3.2k at 70 and 3.5k at 80.
always wish i had 6th gear on motorways

i read the thread title as: "reverse at motorway speeds" it sounded a lot more exciting.

No idea, but with my early 1.0 final drive, 165/55's and home brewed straight through back box, I have to have the radio up quite loud :p

Has anyone noticed once coming off the motorway after pushing the engine hard, the accelerator feels different doing the regular 30-40mph again until like the next time you stop and come to drive it the next day? Almost rumble-y?

Has anyone noticed once coming off the motorway after pushing the engine hard, the accelerator feels different doing the regular 30-40mph again until like the next time you stop and come to drive it the next day? Almost rumble-y?

push the eng around town and it does that also,sort of a wake up mode
and wakes a bit more with a 1ltr g box

Just to add to the original question...........
Can anyone tell me what speed can you do in each gear to the redline??

You might want to use a calculator to work it out as it'd depend on your gear ratios, tyre size and your redline. They's some good online tools too, here's the one I used.

Anyone know where the redline is on a facelift 1.3?

Ive driven it pretty hard but all the power is mid rev range so never needed to go that high and dont dare incase i blow something!

Back