Revs By Ear?

My 1.0 Super 4-speed manual (no rev counter) sometimes gets a bit revved in those moments of 'positive driving'.

I've considered fitting a rev counter, but with an after market one where SHOULD the red line be on the dial for this engine?

On moderate occasion I will go 25mph in 1st, 45mph in 2nd, 70mph in 3rd, and on a closed road….. bounced the needle off the end stop for about 5 minutes 103mph? (driver load only). Higher than the manufacturers guidelines for fuel efficiency! God only knows where the revs are here. It doesn’t sound rough at these high engine speeds...just a little unnerving if i dwell on it.

It's standing the test of time 90k tacho....it gets regular oil & filter etc etc....and since I’ve set the clearances a few years ago...they haven’t budged!
Coolant and oil never drops either....MOT emissions are well under the maximum as well...

Does anyone have ANY idea where the revs might be here and if they are safe, risky or critical!

Cheers chaps

OK so thats the red line?.....cheers !

Do you think those geer/speed combos in my first post are past the red, on the red, or before the red?

Guesses are welcome because I really dont know.... cheers.

I never had the rev counter fitted to my 4 speed, but the redzone on the super s dials (1.2 engine) is from 6000 to 8000. Highest i've done on several occasions is 7500 (a bit too high!) :eek: but it coped fine. Mine has a 1.0 engine tho

My speedo has been modified so it may over/under read by a bit, combined with different sized wheels so the mph figures may be inaccurate to some degree

1st gear was definitly 7500 revs and it said 32mph,

2nd gear i've taken to 60 - again very high revs, probably 6500/7000

3rd to 90 - (not sure of revs)

4th to 100+ - 6000/6500 revs

5th 100+ - between 5000 and 6000 revs depending on road gradient

Remember our gearboxes are different! dont do the above if you're not sure. You could end up wrecking your box or engine!

hmm!!!!!!! NEVER take a MA10 above 6500, there is just no point, its not the fact it cant do it because it can, its just that after 6500, there is no power at all and you will accelerate faster by changing into the next gear.
Other than that Max power on the 1.0 is 6000 rpm and 5600 rpm for a 1.2 red line should be set to around there. Anything above 7K is just utter stupidity - yes even you arnold!!

Ed said:
even you arnold!!

Yep! you've given me this grilling before so ive changed my driving habits since, however if you do change in first at 6000, its at like 25/28 mph.. the extra 1000 revs does seem to take it to 30/32... unless thats because the dial is rising so quickly from the accelleration, its momentum (sp) is causing it to continue upwards regardless of the extra rpm ?

He he,

I'm NOT planning on copying those crazy revs (PMSL!)
I was just a little nervous that I may be taking it a little too high from time to time.

Nice tip on the MAX power thing...I'm usually quite conservative with the revs and the gears.

If its any help these are the CALCULATED speeds (in mph) in each gear at 6000rpm for the three different type of K10 gearbox, using STANDARD (145) tyres on 12inch rims:

4speed
1 29.0
2 50.6
3 78.7
4 107.5

5speed wide
1 30.8
2 53.7
3 83.5
4 114.1
5 145.8

5speed close ('89 onward)
1 27.3
2 47.6
3 70.4
4 90.6
5 109.6

The tyre size will make a difference because they affect the overall gear ratio thus the road speed changes for the same revs. Also remember that most speedos are quite inaccurate. But the speeds you've posted seem to be about right, the MA10 engine can easily take that sort of use. If you really want to wring every last rpm out of your engine I recomend you get a rev counter.

RE: RE: Revs By Ear?

Ed said:
Other than that Max power on the 1.0 is 6000 rpm and 5600 rpm for a 1.2 red line should be set to around there.

I never realised the max power was so high for the MA12! I never take mine that high! Sounds like it's wailing in pain.

Rusty said:
Ed said:
Other than that Max power on the 1.0 is 6000 rpm and 5600 rpm for a 1.2 red line should be set to around there.

I never realised the max power was so high for the MA12! I never take mine that high! Sounds like it's wailing in pain.

lol! it probably is! the 1.2's cant take as much grief as the 1.0 so she'l probably blow with a bit of abuse! The 1.0's arent indestructable tho so i should start being a little more careful with her .... maybe ;)

Arnold

mine easily pulls all the way up to 6000rpm the ma10 is a far less powerfull engine so will take more to damage it.

Mark said:
the ma10 is a far less powerfull engine

Eh? Far less is a bit of an over exaggeration. The 18.1 Santa pod record was set by a MA10

Mark said:
so will take more to damage it.

LMAO thats crap!! its proven it can take more abuse!! What are you talking about

I worked out the optimum RPM for gearchanges for all gearboxes a while back... I'll dig it out when I have access to my PC. For what it's worth though, it's redline (or nearly redline) for both engines with any gearbox. Redline being 6000rpm - there really is no gain to going any higher than this.

Back