Reverse parallel Parking

Hi People,

Just a quick question for you all :).

What reference points do you use when reverse parallel park?

For some reason i seem to be having issues with it, where I am either bumping into the kerb before the car is parallel, or I am about a meter from the kerb.

Looking out the back window I cant really see how close to the kerb I am as it vanishes below the window.

I know they say practice makes perfect, but any tips would be appreciated :p

I used to drop my passenger mirror down to look at the back wheel before I learned to park properly, it really helps

I used to drop my passenger mirror down to look at the back wheel before I learned to park properly, it really helps

Same here. Used to reverse until the passenger door handle was halfway over the side of the kerb (in the passenger mirror), then turn the wheel the other way.

cool, so how do you know when to straighten up now? does the position of the wing mirror in relation to the car in front help in anyway?

At the moment im leaning forward to see when the front of the car clears the rear of the car infront lol.

just look in the passanger mirror to see how far you are from the kerb. then just check behind you then to the right...i just use the passanger mirror all the time. then look behind every few seconds. jobs a goodun...

or just remeber, 1 left turn, then 2 right :)

Get in at a 45 degree angle, back up til your wing mirror is level with the car in front of the space you are parking in then straighten up, wait till you are about 6 inches from the kerb (you can see in your mirror) then begin to turn the wheel in the opposite direction to bring your front end in, move slowly but spin the wheel quickly, straighten up as you get level and you should find it perfect, if you are too far away from the kerb get closer before turning the front end in.

Remember practice makes perfect, I can do a diagram if you want

when the rear of the car is in line with the car you are reversing around turn at a speady pase until the car is at about 45 degrees keep a steady pase at this angle until your front bumper is in line with the car your reversing around turn the wheel at the same pase back the other way until you fully lock out.

I park on a street every day lol, I can do this blindfolded these days.

Here's what BSM have to say on the subject:
I'm not sure what they'll say about copyright but after charging me £25 for a book I didn't want, didn't ask for and didn't use.....argh lol, don't go with bsm

Attachments

• DSC00199.JPG
    DSC00199.JPG
    732.9 KB · Views: 1,618
reverse back (obviously lol) until your back end is level with the end of the car you want to park behind/infront of, then 1 turn in, look through your mirror until the kerb dissapears under the wheel arch then 2 turns right reverse till straight, works well and how my instructor taught me.

P. Parking

What i usually do is start reversing with 1 whole turn of the steering wheel, when you are 45 degrees straighten the car up and keep reversing at this angle and as soon as your car wont hit the one in front go full lock right and swing front end in, this is the way i always do it. Either ive mastered it or its an easy method of doing it, Good luck (Y)

Back