Removing wiper arms

M

monkeychild

Hello I have searched the forums, and I think I have found that the leak in our Micra is due to the scuttle panel. We had a new windscreen fitted last year and I don't think the panel was re-fitted correctly. Question I have is how do I remove the wiper arms??
Cheers

pull off the plastic covers undo the nuts under them and the arms should pull off, they may need a fair bit of persuasion to pull off though.

Cheers didn't realise the covers where like that!
Took the scuttle panel off and used some sealant to seal off the passenger side clip hole which is nearest the kerb. I think this is the one the water is getting through.

pull off the plastic covers undo the nuts under them and the arms should pull off, they may need a fair bit of persuasion to pull off though.

How much is a little persuasion? I'm trying to remove mine because the driver side wiper has stopped working, and it moves freely which leads me to believe the linkage has fallen apart or something. But I'm trying to get at it but can't get the wiper arms off that are preventing me removing the plastic cover. Am I missing something once I've removed the nut? Or do they just become really stiff over time?

How much is a little persuasion? I'm trying to remove mine because the driver side wiper has stopped working, and it moves freely which leads me to believe the linkage has fallen apart or something. But I'm trying to get at it but can't get the wiper arms off that are preventing me removing the plastic cover. Am I missing something once I've removed the nut? Or do they just become really stiff over time?

They just become very stiff over time - these cars are the best part of 15 years old, so a lot of hard weather takes it toll. If you spray on some grease and rock the arm from side to side (as if you were going to unscrew it), and up and down, it should loosen up. But you have to be vigilant though, they really can be an absolute pig to remove

Right I'll put this in case anyone else ever has the problem. Turns out being an amateur, to get this off and i only discovered after nearly ripping my fingers off and lots of swearing that in or to remove the arms you have to, once the nut is removed, press the arm in where the spring is so that it straightens and it lifts straight off.

Back