Struggling to remove wiper arms

Unfortunately my wipers have stopped working and I've read about the wiper arm linkage problem.
This morning I tried to remove the wiper arm but struggled despite hammering it multiple times with the nut on. Does anyone have any tips on removing them?

I did manage to take a peek under the scuttle cover and two arms were disconnected. I'm planning on ordering the quick fix from ask the mechanic.

Yeah keep the nut on loosely..
The give the arm a wiggle from the middle to near the bolt go back and forth a few times lightly.
I did not need a tool to remove it but a puller would work if this method doesn't.
Mine came off really easy but with out the wiggle they were stuck on and not going to move.
The key is use the bolt so it's not going to fly back in your direction.
Once it loosens this way you can then remove the bolt and the wiper will remove effortlessly.
No need for the hammer

Thanks, could you expand on wiggle from the middle to near the bolt?
I don't really feel that any of the circular attachment part wiggles at all.

lift the wiper arm from the window, so its pointing away, (as if you was going to replace the blades) then wiggle the arm from left to right holding the wiper arm, so it dont spring down and hit the screen, a spray of wd40 or any penetrating oil should help before hand.

Yes lift the wiper arm and wiggle the arm till the circular part gives way make sure the bolt is on but not full tightened.
This will help you to not have the arm spring back that could potentially crack your windscreen or hit you in the face maybe.
Something you definitely wouldn't want to happen.

As for the linkages and other components they could need replacement or the motor it's self could be in need of renewing.
Really depends on what happens do you have sound from the motor and little to no movement or just no movement and no signs of any motor noise?

For me I removed them to access the bolts for front struts. This was also a good time to review the built up dust or leaves. In the recess of the panel that can also be removed once the wiper arms are taken off.
The wiper arms on my 2005 need respray they annoy the heck out of me everytime I look at them.
And the panel cover also needs some refinishing colour adding.

Last edited:
They don't move at all and when I peeked under the scuttle cover one of the linkage arms was fully disconnect at both ends.
I tried to listen out for the motor noise but the engine was on so I couldn't hear anything over that, should I be able to hear it move over the engine noise? When I am in the car and I turn on the wipers I don't hear any movement.

Was thinking you might be able to turn the wiper without the engine running not sure if you can with micra.
Your best to get the panel off and then you will see properly.
I would guess the motor is fine.
This is a good guide to help you replace the worn out linkages.
And also might explain what I ment about the wiper in the drivers side this one is the one you may have trouble removing as shown in this link.

Btw Good luck with the repair.
We all need a clear vision in the winter and rainy snowy weather's.

For me its back to my mountain bike repairs.

Last edited:
Wiper arms are normally on a tapered spline that has a habit of rusting or seizing. With luck, some wd40 and wiggling should work.

I've had to resort to blowtorch on some cars, a blast of heat is enough to get it free. Obviously taking care since there is plastic and windscreen around.

Just tried again this morning, left the nut on loose near the top, pulled the distal part of the wiper arm so that it is pointing away from the windscreen, then rotated the the lower part of the wiper arm left and right to try and wiggle it off but still no movement/loosening at all!

Raining and cold now so I am back in. Might have to try and use a hairdryer.

Yes lift the wiper arm and wiggle the arm till the circular part gives way make sure the bolt is on but not full tightened.
This will help you to not have the arm spring back that could potentially crack your windscreen or hit you in the face maybe.
Something you definitely wouldn't want to happen.

As for the linkages and other components they could need replacement or the motor it's self could be in need of renewing.
Really depends on what happens do you have sound from the motor and little to no movement or just no movement and no signs of any motor noise?

For me I removed them to access the bolts for front struts. This was also a good time to review the built up dust or leaves. In the recess of the panel that can also be removed once the wiper arms are taken off.
The wiper arms on my 2005 need respray they annoy the heck out of me everytime I look at them.
And the panel cover also needs some refinishing colour adding.

Yes try heat if all else has failed.
Sometimes just enough heat from your hairdryer might work should be as good as a heat gun.
Keep in mind tho if it's alloy part it will take little heat to get it and should pull off once temp is reached with little effort.

Blowtorch is better, because hotter, and you can direct the flame to the arm and not get as much heat on the spindle, creating a better temperature difference.

I'd doubt a hairdrier (or is is it hairdryer?) would be as effective since the air is very broad coming out, and the slow heating means it all heats up at a similar rate. Heat works best if one part heats up more than the other since the thermal expansion frees it.

Using a a blowtorch is a good idea for heating up bolts it always works form me when I'm struggling.
Long as your careful it should be fine but I would say take extra care when doing so as this could melt other items.(plastics and paint)
And also windscreens..
A small flame torch should be okay but suggest to take care if you use that method.

Last edited:
I finally completed the job on Sunday. Had to use a wiper arm removal tool and applied heat using a hairdryer to get it off eventually.
I bought this from Halfords: https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/automotive-tools/laser-wiper-arm-removal-tool-221975.html. It just about worked but kept slipping and the fit wasn't great.
If I were to buy again I would get this one from Euro car parts: https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/sealey-vs807-wiper-arm-puller-heavy-duty-SEAVS807. Unfortunately they didn't have stock on the day so I had to settle with the halfords version.

Other that the nightmare of removing the wiper arms the rest of the job was relatively quick and straight forward. I didn't buy replacement arms but instead used the channel fix from Ask The Mechanic.

I know this is a necrothread, but I used channel-lock-style pliers to squeeze the arm up against the bolt hard with one hand while wiggling, and that did the trick.

Back