Removing upside down bolt from 1st cat

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Hiya all,
I have a nice new exhaust manifold to fit.
I had a little look around the engine bay today to see whats involved.

I saw that one of the bolts that connects the manifold to the 1st cat is upside down.
I have WD40'd it and tried to shift it with a spanner but i cant see it budging.

Would i be right in saying i may have to remove the radiator to get the leverage to undo it??

i felt the mani had to be removed to do that so i left it all in place and mashout the cat from under neath
probly way off the mark though

WD40 is penetrating spray... GT85 on the other hand is not.
I made myself a mahusive extension out of every socket connection i had then undid it from under the car haha.

WD40 is NOT a penetrating spray at all, it is a thin spray for displacing water off electrics.

This is the stuff:

penetrating_spray.png

yeah that'll work. i couldnt get mine undone until i'd taken the whole exhaust system off. removed the bolt once the manifold was on the floor!

Ok. Time for an update. Got myself some penetrating oil today and sprayed everything.
I took another look at the bolt to see if I had an extension long enough but just can't see how you would access it from underneath the car?? There are engine parts in the way!!
I have attached a pic to show the bolt mean

photo-12.jpg

Could you not undo the mani bolts and pull it forward an inch or so? Oh, and forgot to add, 6 sided sockets are better than 12 for stubborn bolts - far less chance of rounding off heads or nuts. Bluepoint do a set for a very reasonable price :).

also a good idea to take the car for a run first, get some heat into the system, makes bolts slightly easier to undoo (if you dont have oxy of course) but be carefull not to burn yourself then, gloves are a must, unless your into pain :D

Back