Removing Front Springs

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Hiya all,
Just had a go at replacing the front suspension springs. How do i undo the nut at the top of the strut as it just spins. I presume i have to lock it off somehow......but how???

Ahh.....i see. so i would a use something like a dog leg type spanner for the nut then clamp the top off with mole grips?

Try to loosen the top nut while the cars resting on its wheels so there's minimal load on the nut that can hinder removal. Need a swan neck o-spanner on the nut while securing the damper shaft with a close fitting c-spanner or adjustable spanner

Hi Guys........Thanks for all the advice :)

Yep......got spring clamps but unfortunately dont have any daylight. Gonna have another crack at it in the next week :)

Is there any harm in doing the fronts, then doing the rear on another day............apart from the dragster look ??

Just had a quick attempt at loosening them nut but they just wont shift!! Mole grips on the center and 14mm swan neck spanner but no joy. Would compressing the springs beforehand help?

iv,e had to compress them and pull the sponge bumpstop down to get the molies onto the shaft sometimes wehey, it wont matter if you scratch the shaft there (but dont scratch the working/lower bit tho eh fwn

Right!!! This is driving me fricking insane!!! ahhhhh

photo-7.jpg

I presume i have this bit right

Try as hard as i may all i am doing is knackering the top of the rectangular bit. Both sides wont budge. Wheels are on the floor!

Any other options??

iv,e had to compress them and pull the sponge bumpstop down to get the molies onto the shaft sometimes wehey, it wont matter if you scratch the shaft there (but dont scratch the working/lower bit tho eh fwn

Do i remove the strut completely from the car to do this? Ta

Back