Removing Silicone

Paynee

Ex. Club Member
right well i got bods sideskirts off him and they have silicone all over the back what hes used to help stick em on with, i wanna get all this off before i start prepping and painting cus i dont want to do the prep and paint then ruin it trying to get it off, i am a bit wary of damaging the fibreglass using heat or any kinds of liquid.
anyone got any idea what i can use to get shot of it
cheers
dave

Sharp knife to get the soft stuff off then some fine grade sand paper eg 800 to finish it off. Not actually done it myself but should be fine if you take your time and be careful...

i would say a chizel(sp) would do the job, make sure the side you are attacking is on a flat surface while you are doing it as it will need supporting, then as herr says bit of sandpaper,

or you could try using "intensive tar remover" by autoglym from halfords of a similar product, but id get he big bits off with a sharp blade.

as they say. thats how u do it. simply cut it off wwith sharp blade. then use glass paper though instead of sdand paper it more course ad also gies it a key for when u next apply the stikaflex. gives it a bond to stick better to :D

done it plenty of times now . did it today infact with my back window when i took that out :D..

oh i wish i had my camera images from the tomm thread of stripped coming to mind.

i only have my gear linkage wiring loom and front window left on the car :S:D

so naked. tis lush.lol

quickdraw said:
so naked. tis lush.lol

theres just something about naked things :laugh::laugh:

cheers for all the info guys, just didnt wanna go into it blind and maul my lovely sideskirts:love:

ill post some pics up as i go to let you all know how i get on, as no doubt ill need more help somewhere along the line! just hope i dont ruin em as this is my first time painting fibreglass so am a bit nervous as it would be quite an expensive f**k up!!

nah u cant fook em paynee. lol. plus im only down the road :D..

if u need a hand or advise. u can catch me ne timne on the mobly. pm if u want it :D.. same goes for every one really :D

Back