Removing chrome from plastic parts for painting....

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
While aimlessly wandering around' The Net' a few weeks ago I stumbled on a Youtube video showing how to chemically strip chrome from plastic car parts. The guy that posted it was doing things on a fairly large scale as he had a plastic under bed storage box, with a complete car grill in the solution.:eek:
I thought that I would try it out, on a much smaller scale as the front bonnet badge on my K12, that I had painted black, was looking decidedly speckled now, with much of the original chrome showing through where stone and insect strikes had chipped the paint off.:mad:
I originally bought a pair of spare badges so still had the original front badge and spare rear one to play with...
A gratuitous 'before' picture of the badge....
NypFKeO.jpg

And in a bath (Chinese take away container;)) of the 'secret' chemical......

Ffz1XgQ.jpg

I put it 'face down' as I found that bubbles generated by the reaction got trapped in the concave rear and lifted the badge up in the solution so that the side I really wanted to strip was out of the liquid.
The 'secret chemical' is not so secret really, but just strong household bleach,
YwPLo3w.jpg

though it is essential to get the strongest possible (4.5g per100g being the legal strongest for domestic use).
IWvjCjl.jpg

This is not a fast process , the next picture being after about 2 weeks in the solution, with it being taken out and rinsed and fresh solution added a few times in this period.....
30ZEjHo.jpg

And a further week to get it like this...
vbKnlUo.jpg

And at this point I did a final rinse and rubbed it down with 600 grade wet and dry to key the surface for painting...
CaorbwD.jpg

RGnZSrJ.jpg

All dried off and clean and time for a coat of white plastic primer paint.......
SkvMkSt.jpg

Just waiting overnight for the primer to thoroughly cure then tomorrow I will give it a coat of satin black paint....
In the mean time I have just put the spare rear badge in the stripping bath......
mbp5AzV.jpg

More tomorrow, when I put the top coat on...

Well it looks like the rear badges are much less heavily plated than the front ones :unsure:........
The 'bath' after an over night soak :eek:
F2bh8wk.jpg

And the badge rinsed, ready for the next immersion in fresh liquid.....
N7PWeDt.jpg

Fjawbhn.jpg

The front badge has had it's first coat of satin black, just waiting for it to cure before I handle it and take some pictures.......

Front badge finished, just need to get some double sided tape on the back and swap it over with the tatty one currently on the car....
LR2L5Jw.jpg

Meanwhile the back one is still 'cooking'

Back