Removing generator pulley

Hello all (my first post),

I have recently developed a fairly big water leak (2L in about 30mins without the engine on :wow: ) and am trying to bodge fix it. I have located one leak (a hole about 4mm in diameter) and fixed it, however I can't get to the other (or even find it). I think the leak is behind the generator pully(?) on the drivers side end of the engine; it may however be comming out the bottom of the timing belt housing. I have removed the upper timing belt housing but I cannot get the lower housing off or the pulley. The pully has a bolt head on it, but turning that just turns the engine over or moves the car depending on if the car is in gear or not. The Haynes manual is useless!

Please can someone advise me how to access this area?

Many thanks,
Derek Bartram.

5th gear, (or 4th depending on gear box lol) chock both front wheels, get someone to STAND on the break pedal and then get as big a breaker bar in that you can fit and it should undo, well it worked for mine anyway.

I was guessing it probably was the water pump, but I dont want to shell out cash until I know for sure; i've already spent £70 odd quid replacing the brake system. Thanks everyone for their help, much appreciated!

Thanks all, it was the water pump; two holes one on the edge and the other just behind the gear. Off to eBay to get a new one (or email me at [email protected] if you have one).

Back