crank, cam timing position and pulley help

Hi All,

I needed to put on a new can belt & tensioner and i wanted to ask how to adjust the cam drive and crank position before putting on the belt. I think i have managed to find the marking on the cam drive (its on the face of the cog - dash marking) and there is a marking on the head to the left of the cam drive cog which i assume both must match? i find the crank pulley a tricky one as i cannot see much down there but i did notice that on the lower 2nd half of the cam belt cover there are 2 markings something like 10 0 ?

Also i tried to take the pulley off but it proving a difficult job. i tried putting the car in 4th gear and try but seems like it needs a strong pair of hands. Any tips on this?

your help and advice is much appreciated

Mani

The crankshaft pully you need to remove. Mine was so tight it needed an air gun... but you can try;

Someone stand on the brakes while the other pulls the spanner (car needs to be in gear!)

Once you get that off, remove the lower cam belt cover (the one with those markings, which are used for setting the timing).

Before you do anything else, you need to get the position of the camshaft and crankshaft right (the top and bottom cogs). The way I do it is to use tip ex to align them with the metal surrounding. But there should be some proper marks on them.

Loosen the tensioner bolt. Timing belt should be able to slide out.

To get the new one on, tighten the tensioner pully with it in its "loosest" position, since the spring always pushes it tight, which is a pain when fitting the belt. Then fit the belt (a bit fiddly) and dont forget to loosen the tensioner pully again to let it spring to its correct tension. Then you just need to tighten it a bit.

Have fun

hammer for that nut. on a breaker bar, with someone standing on the brakes.
as for the timing the haynes book tells you how to do it.

Turtle,

i think i have found the markings for the cambelt as it matches the diagram provided with the belt but for the crankshaft does it matter which 2 big markings you use on the cam belt cover? if the pulley comes off does it go back on in a fixed way i.e. is the crankshaft shaped so that the pulley wheel goes on no other way?

PS. How you managed to get air gun in a tight spot, you took the engine out?

Mani

As far as I know the pulley will be keywayed so that it can only be fitted in one way.

***Disclaimer- I have never tried the following, nor would i ever try it as i would do myself some injury***

I have read about people wedging a wrench on the floor whilst on the crank pulley bolt, then using the starter to break the bolt free.

I really wouldnt reccomend it, and i know if i tried it there would be catastrophic results. But i thought i'd mention it anyway.

Yeh I wouldn't do that.

Take off the left side bottom engine guard (plastic thing) and turn the road wheel alll the way to the right. The bolt should be sitting there in front of you.

The pully only goes on one way.

Thanks turtle and dan,

that thought did cross my mind but i thought it would damage my wrench tool due to the force.

i will give it a try but for the time being, thanks to the rain, i will try and get a haynes manual but will let you know of the outcome. My initial thought was to turn the cam to 9 o'clock position and the crank pulley to the top mark of the markings provided on the upper half of cam belt cover?

Mani

Back