Supercharger Pulley

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Well its an ongoing project.Belt slip is a bit of an issue.
Means if I really tramp it I sometimes get slip and loose a bit of boost.Drops from 12 down to around 10.
Slip is on the small supercharger pulley. Not feasible to put a bigger pulley on as it contains the magnetic clutch plus a bigger pulley means less boost.
So seeing where another drive pulley can be installed so more of the belt has more contact surface area and hence more grip.
Have replaced the belt twice now with a new one but after about 2000 kl start to get slip. Adjust it up on the tensioner but after a short time it slips again. So it aint the belt but more lack of grip.
I am going to patent Whitey and all its mods one day.Apart from the above irritation it running as sweet as.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
What sort of belts are you using?

Have you tried to source a Goodyear Gator-something (can't remember the name) belt?

The mini cooper s guys use them (import them from the USA because they arent sold here in australia) because they are *the* stickiest belt available and perfect for supercharger applications.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yeah have tried the belt grip stuff. Comes in an aerosol can and it sure is sticky ****e.
Works for a while.
The Goodyear belt is called a Gatorback belt and I will see if they have one the same size as mine which is a Dayco poly ribbed belt 5PK0975.Dayco belts good quality.
Long term be best to increase the angle of wrap around the pulley but use of a idler pulley but Gatorback one maybe would work.
If any of you want find me a Goodyear Gatorback equivalent on the web please feel free.

cisco

» CMF Member
Ahh sounds like the last thing to be fine tuned out of White Knight though.

Yeah must be annoying especially when its driving so well and you just want to keep driving it. Definately be tops to get this sorted so you can run belts reliably for 10,000km or something etc.

Good luck with it and we'll see you in Canberra with it all sorted out I'm sure.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
mate I'll see if I can get in touch with the mini-nut who imports them and see if there's an alternative for ya.

As for stuff you can buy on the shelf here, no idea.

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
hey Dave can i just ask an "off topic" question?
you have kmacs on family hack i'm i right? if so are you really very happy with the spring rate? i have found them to be FAR to light and bouncy. i think i'll be going with whiteline springs. do you know of any other springs that are nice and low but behave well on the road?

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Thanks Yom. If there was a match with the Gatorback Goodyear one in USA I would import one no worries.FRom what I read they are really good. Very strong with little stretch and very sticky and a very interesting V section.
Matty, Hack on original springs, Whitey runs the KMAC plus adj. Konis. I am extremly happy with Whiteys set up. Konis on softest setting and the ride is fine and corners like a brick. Mind you has Whiteline Adj. panhard rod plus front HD anti sway bar and strut brace.Ride not harsh at all.
On Hack I just replaced the 2 front shocks to those KYB ones.Very happy with them also.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Pies Aust 03 93032000 can help you source the gatorback belt your require.

However you will need to figure out what the corresponding belt for the dayco you are using is.

You may need to post up on some american nissan forums and find a shop who has the books. Goodyear australia won't be sble to help you afaik.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Thanks Yom I owe you one . I will chase up. Thats what is so great about this site, everyone so co operative.
Great news if they do not make one after putting Whitey on the hoist there is room to put an idler pulley.Bit of fabrication but nothing drastic.Would increase wrap around on the supercharger pulley and the alternator pully a lot.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Thanks Alex. I will do both if possible.Yom, sent e mail to Pies asking if they can source the Gatorback belt equivalent to mine from USA and already drawing up the bracket/pulley design. This way will have the problem sorted.

cisco

» CMF Member
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done. About bloody time something great happened to all these hi-po micras.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yep V belt. Yep there is room for an idler pully post supercharger one and pre alternator one. This would make a nice S bend and increase wrap around both supercharger and alternator one plus having the benefit of the idler pully contact.

Back