lighter bottom pulley

O

ohc_turbo

found this out, the 1.0 engine has a single pulley at the bottom and the 1.2 has a pulley that accepts a belt for power steering, probably not noticable on its own but replacing the 1.2 with the 1.0 is worth it, it was definatly lighter, with a lighweght fly you would see gains

the diffrence in weight is due to the larger pulley having both a alternator wheel and a power steering weel, the lighter on has only a alternator wheel, by the bay it is the old v belt and not the flat type so if you dont have a v type alternator one will have to be sourced to mach, the wheel on the alternators can be changed and swapped, ive done it on my mates silvia before which had the same change in belt styles

the pulley's are interchangable. I have a MA10 pulley on an MA12 and it works perfectly, however, you need an MA10 alternator

I dont think it would really make much difference, and dont even think about a lightened flywheel, because it will destroy the gearbox.

Pulley

Thanks for the info.
The prefacelift engines use a Vee-belt alternator drive, so I assume that is what you mean by having to use the matching alternator?

But dont the facelift 1.0 engines use the same ribbed alternator belt as the 1.2's?
Craig

V belts are less efficient than the newer thinner belts, I think also they may fail faster. I dont know if this would counteract any pully weight savings however.

the 1.2 pulley is a damper pulley if you look closely at it its made out of to parts with a rubber band between the inner and belt carrying outer.

dont now why they went down this road cus the much lighter 1.0 one worked fine.
if you do swap the 1.2 for the 1.0 one dont use the 1.2s cam belt gide spacer cus the 1.0 is shaped allready to gide the cam belt

Pulley

Thanks for the tip Bob. Which alternator did you use? Do the later 1.0 alternators have a ribed belt instead of a vee belt drive?

Thanks
Craig

i dont use any alternator but i no you can bin all the heavy ma12 setup to make way for the lighter ma10 by just swapping them over,they all fit each other.

Back