K10 tensioner pulley

I'm having difficulty understanding how the cam belt tensioner pulley should be attached.

The Haynes manual talks about a locknut, but the photos show a plain nut and washer - and that's what I have on my K10. But if I tighten up this nut the pulley cannot move on its slotted track and the tensioner spring will have no effect.

I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how to refit the pulley.

Thanks.

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
Ive got a washer and lock nut on mine. when you fit a cam belt you leave the nut loose, rotate the engine a few times, check marks. If theyre all ok then tighten the nut so the pulley cant move on the slot. the spring is just there to move the pulley to the right place (right ammount of tension on the belt) till you lock it off.

bobsp16

Site Supporter
best thing to do is throw the tensioner spring away then take the tension up with a screwdriver by levering the lefthand side of the pulley then use a nylock nut instead of the original nut..

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
162684_492986434871_839509871_5682238_7618521_n.jpg

Push it with your thumb to take the slack out of the belt & tighten it, then rotate the cam at two or four times. Undo the nut and push the tentioner again to take out any new slack, tighten the nut and repeat this process once more if you want to make sure. There is no lock nut, it's a regular nut and washer on them. Don't worry about the haynes saying something different, it's just the way those books are, not just for micras but for lots of cars. The mini edition is a ####ing nightmare to read...

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Forgot to mention; rotate anti-clockwise, but i think the book tells you that.

Note to admins; The edit post function isn't working for some reason. :eek:

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
the spring is there for a reason lol, no need to keep tightening it and loosening it. leave it loose, rotate the engine till all the slack has been taken up, tighten the nut, job done.

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
Forgot to mention; rotate anti-clockwise, but i think the book tells you that.

Note to admins; The edit post function isn't working for some reason. :eek:

you can only edit your posts if you give them money :wasntme: also when I 1st joined you was only allowed 100 posts in certain sections aswell :suspect:

bobsp16

Site Supporter
ive been messing with these engines and reving them very hi for about 12 years now and the spring is a waste of space,it doesn't even get you the right tension ie (the long side 1/4 twist of the belt test)

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
the spring has done a fine job of tensioning the belt on my 8.5 - 9k rpm 1 litre.

Yeah but that's probably the only spring in the world that ever worked. I'd rather make damn sure the belt is right by taking the slack out myself, then i know it's right. I never leave it to chance when it comes to the engine, i don't want the belt flapping around in there.

I can edit again, woo!

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
Yeah but that's probably the only spring in the world that ever worked. I'd rather make damn sure the belt is right by taking the slack out myself, then i know it's right. I never leave it to chance when it comes to the engine, i don't want the belt flapping around in there.

I can edit again, woo!

Also used the spring to tension the belt on my 1st micra as I did the cambelt when I got it. Took a year of abuse without any problems (got rid of it to have a viva)

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Vauxhall viva? I hope you still got it, cool cars man. We had an hc & a hb way back in the day, i always wanted the viva magnum myself but try and find one, no chance. :doh:

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Abuse !!! you cannot abuse a standard k10 they dont rev high enough in standard form
One of my 1st racing k10 many years ago had cambelt failure and the caused by this spring,it had broke in half and one part was stuck down near the bottom pully and it shredded the belt,,,this spring can work lose/fracture with high rev's ive had it happen so when your paying a £1000 a time for an engine and reving it to 8k you dont want that spring in there.....Dave walker looks after around 40+ ma12 race engines and you will not find one in any of them.

O and my sisters 1st car was a vauxhall viva magnum and she rolled it swerving around a rabbit..lol

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
I dont have the viva anymore. It was a ha running c20ne engine on bike carbs with a ford type 9 box and mgb gt rear axle :D

S73F1560.jpg

S73F1514.jpg

Incidently my micra has a dave walker head on it :D