remote mounted turbo

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
tris

yeh, thats why i was thinking mid-mounted, (where the 2nd cat goes).
a stripped to the bone 500kg dragstrip/track jobbie with a welded diff and the tunnel cut away and boxed over, with the intake and filter inside the cab, going through the bulkhead (only 4 ft long, including intercooler and fan )

frank

smidge

» CMF Member
yeah that dude in the post up top was driving through snow with it! crazy!

maybe it works okay with the big engines he's got there... i'd be fun for a laugh but you'd be spewin if you did it and it was undrivable

CMF_DeepFraught

» CMF Member
Not wanting to make you wet yourself further, but you might be able to mount the diesel turbo after the Micra's factory catalytic converter if the temperature drops enough through the cat converter.
That way you could keep shorter intake plumbing to reduce the lag, and use the space available there.
I imagine the only scenario someone would bother was if they had a free variable vane turbo, and don't want to create a new exhaust manifold, just the turbo adapter plates and redirected exhaust system.

I just googled and found like anything, my idea is just reinventing the wheel.
http://www.xiosmotorworks.com/focus_turbo_history.html

"The unique placement of the Focus’ 2.0 Zetec catalytic converter makes it impractical to place a turbo in the conventional exhaust manifold-attached location while still retaining the catalytic converter. To remove the catalytic converter would not be street legal. Bell’s innovative design placed the turbo after the catalytic converter, allowing the kit to be 49 state legal. Additionally, as the kit left all of the car’s stock emissions equipment intact, it had the potential to attain California’s strict CARB exempt status and be 50 state legal."

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
would not mind doing it and my tuner is keen as cos he has just done this on two brand new ve commodores. The turbos are mounted under the drivers and passengers seats pretty much. He says its easy to do and all you need is piping turbo and a oil pump to circulate the oil. Then a ECU of some kind. That is the part he is unsure of as he does not like safc and the like so he wants to put a microtech or something on it. He pretty sure he could get it to work it is just dollars and that is what i am short of at the moments and for some time as i have just put a power fc on my skyline.

Back