Another turbo Q from a newbie

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Hey poeples my girl and i have decided we want more zip out of the micra, Now i have read a lot of the forums on this matter and have decided to use a t25 with a custom manifold and exhaurst,we also want to use a top mounted intercooler with a WRX STI scoop as we want the A/C left in working order. The problem is i cant make up my decision on the fuel management system i will need to run. Will the standard stuff work with a better fuel pump and a rising rate regulator or will i need something along the lines of a Apexi SAFC and injectors.
The only other thing i am worried about is the stock internals.Will they hold up with around 6psi car has done 160,000klms.
Also how much do second hand engines go for roughly.
Thanks guys i hope to be sharing more details with you soo

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Welcome Mate, My car runs stock internals with a top mounted turbo. Low boost, around 6psi. Been on the car for many years with it's previous owner and no problems whatever.. Engine has around 115,000k's.

Runs standard injectors with a 5th injector into the throttle body controlled bu a Haltech, no leaning out on boost.

Mychael

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
other option is just get some bigger injectors, uprated fuel pump, a haltech ecu will do the job.

2nd hand motor should be about $600. if you make sure the car is tuned properly and does not lean out you will be fine with standard internals but would not go more than 7psi on standard stuff, just to be safe.

smidge

» CMF Member
im thinking of going 5th injector because i'd like to be able to tune it myself and the way i see it i'll retain much of the factory management as possible

td04 or vf25 or even t25 or something along those lines is what i'm planning turbo-wise

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
why dont you jsut get some bigger injectors?? its easier and less hassle. not going to need huge injectors. 440cc at absolute most i reckon. get some from a sr20det or a s4/5 rx7. that will be a better option. you will be able to get a heap more power out of an aftermarket ecu. increase the timing and all the rest.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Hey guys spoke with my mechanic tonight and he said i might be able to get a flange welded to the stock cast manifold but i dont think there will be enough room to get it done. Also i spoke about the fuel issue and he has said to get a after market ecu and recomended a microtech, he also asked me to find out if there is any injectors that can be used on the stock fuel rail or if you need to upgrade.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Hey guys i spoken to a guy tonight at the drags and he recommended using the standard exhaust putting a 90 degree bend in it and mounting the turbo at the rear of the engine????????????????????????????
Thoughts on this idea would be great thanks for the imput guys.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
it would be interesting, you don't have power steering then? my concern is heat so close to the water pump? If the drag guys (he wasn't a guy in drag? :)) think there wouldn't be any lag issues then why not explore the design. what type of intercooler are you thinking of? use larger injectors from a uk primera they're a direct fit and are 195cc/min approx. and will get you about 110kw approx, just to get you started (go through the hassle of a custom rail and injectors later after all the other stuff is done and happy with).

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Yeah would anyone on here be able to import some of these injectors or know of somewhere to get them from. Lag may be an issue but it shouldn't be that bad as i not really after a drag weapon just something a little more zippy.
The car doesn't have power steering so i think it will fit and i will order a turbo heat bag for it and heat wrap it all so i hope it wont be to bad.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
here is some pics of the car

Attachments

• 27128.jpg
    27128.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 27

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
hay, that looks like a micra.... :^) looks nice and shiny.....for the injectors ask if any of the european or NZ boys for a favour and go to the wreakers for you. Don't forget to sort an inceptor so that you can map the fuel ok. I didn't see an A/F ratio meter there, either, which is good insurance.

Back