Reducing turbo lag..

Just had a thought,
could you reduce turbo lag by opening a solenoid valve at low revs and open throttle (when the air is being restricted by the turbo) which alloweds air to bypass the turbo, straight into the manifold.
I have an output on the Hawk that can be configuared by rpm, but i was thinking someone with electronics know how could make somthing that turned on/off at a certain rpm?
might be a silly idea but just thought i would share it:)
I think that the Omex600 has somthing like this, but i was thinking it might work for people who arnt using such an advanced ecu?

Kind of like this? excluding the intercooler etc etc i dunno how it would work, probably a lot more effort needed for little gains if any?

attachment.php

IMG_0297..JPG

Yeah, that is sorta what i was thinking.
just thought, it would only be worth it if there is vacumme in the mani, otherwise the valve would just be letting out the boost. but could possibly set up somthing that opens the valve at vacumme and once it reaches boost it closes it again. could use the voltage output from a map sensor to controle it?

omex 600 has anti-lag :D

just re-read my first post and realised that obviousely its important to pipe the air into the trottle body rather than straight into the mani.

yeah, i know, thats what go me thinking, its a bit more advanced (or retarded:D) than just a valve though, it retards the ignition aswell and sprays in fuel, basicly keeps the engine running fast between gear changes to stop the turbo slowing as much but stops the eninge producing much power (as far as i can work out)
my idea would be more about helping solve the problem of lack of power low in the rev range (while the turbo is causing a restriction)
i was thinking about this idea a bit more last night and i think it needs some refining/scrapping lol.

a good turbo doesn't really lag anyway, the modern turbo's spool fast while still providing good power. If you think your turbo has too much lag, something is either set up wrong, or your using the wrong turbo.

a good turbo doesn't really lag anyway, the modern turbo's spool fast while still providing good power. If you think your turbo has too much lag, something is either set up wrong, or your using the wrong turbo.

you are of course right. might help stani?

the size of my turbo is fine, and so is my piping. my turbo spools up at 3500rpm. and for what im going to using my car for there is no lag at all, if only i had the money id prove all you people who doubt me wrong! some people have to remember there are hardly any successful micra turbo conversions so that tells me ill do it the way i want!

my turbo spools up at 3500rpm. and for what im going to using my car for there is no lag at all

fair enough mate, i was suggesting that it might help someone in your position (that wanted to drive their car in normal conditions)

and as for you martin, stop causing trouble in my thread! :p

Back