Monster turbo design fixup..

cisco

» CMF Member
Well here we go again, I've pulled the car apart again.

I wasn't happy with a few things:
  • Stupid pipe from turbo to air filter with 2 bends in it. Don't need this weight and extra restriction of airflow.
  • Air filter positioned in a stupid position.
  • Manifold design not ideal.
  • Double dump colliding with radiator meaning I need stupid customised narrowed radiators, which don't cool as efficiently and are also weaker due to reduced side wall/frame bit. This really cracked me, so I am going to buy a beefy Datrats radiator and the turbo positioning can work around that. The radiator is a given. On a car with lots of power, you need good cooling without compromise.
  • Too much pipework out of the turbo's exit to bend around to the intercooler. Don't need those 3 bends at all.
  • Want to try a different design intercooler. Taller, more flow channels, but narrower, and smoother end tanks.
  • Wastegate actuator a bit dodgy/ugly looking - previous owner's hack job with ugly welding.
  • Wouldn't mind trying something apart from the T25 I've always used

I'm going to design the positioning of the turbo and all the pipework myself this time. I was frustrated being let down a bit by other people last time, if its not their car, they don't care as much about it, and a hack job will do.

So I'm pretty keen and excited to replace a few things now that the car is apart, and get it back together ASAP all fixed up. Its not really a big deal because I have the rock solid engine and gearbox all sorted now, this will just be something that I can work on from home and source particular parts to my exact specs and dimensions as I need them. Will also save some money too. Going to do all the intercooler piping myself just with pieces of alloy pipe and some smooth blue 30 and 60degree silicon bends as required.

Going to do a lot of research on turbochargers and select something different and interesting to try. Absolutely no idea yet. Perhaps a GT25, but also perhaps an IHI out of a subaru, or perhaps a smaller GT20 which might spool up extremely quickly. No idea yet, but I'd probably be thinking GT25 type setup.

Now this evening, I pulled the turbo, manifold, intercooler and dump pipe all out of the car. Some good news. The current T25 turbo now has excessive shaft play. So very happy I decided to do all this. It was clearly beyond its limit when running 17-19psi at times recently. Looks to have taken its toll. Great excuse for a new turbo. Let's get something durable this time.

Going to ensure things have a much faster turn around this time, because I'm doing everything myself and just outsourcing some things like the manifold etc.

Bring it on! A revised blue monster coming soon..

CMF_micra-man

» CMF Member
This article has some interesting stuff on second hand Subaru turbos.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2683/article.html

And when I do an article search on "intercooler piping" on the Autospeed site, I get 20+ articles.

If you are not a member of Autospeed, I believe it's well worth subscribing to. I think they have a special on at the moment where you can subscribe for around A$26 and get access to all the past issues and 100 future issues.

See http://www.autospeed.com/cms/specialOffers.html

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah autospeed is unreal. They have some great articles. Was getting boring and repetitive for a while, but now it seems to be coming back on boost again. Some decent stuff lately.

Yeah the T25 wasn't ideal, but it was always about the money and hassle to get a bit of an improvement which would probably only make the wheels spin even more etc.

Now that the T25 is dead though, I'm keen to play!

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
I think the T25 is ideal for low to mid boost as it spools up quickly and has been around a long time and is durable and cheap.
When you go over the edge as Cisco has done time to step up.
Keep us posted Cisco !!!
At long last Whitey now in the final straight. Idle problem sorted ( wait for it) by fitting a Ford Falcon idle control valve wired up to the Autronic.Rev gauge no workie and Autronic said need a small upgrade which they are sending.
Its pulling just over 12psi all the time now which is 20% better than the first dyno run and next week its down to the dyno for the final session to re check all the Autronic mapping and of course see what Whitey is now pumping.
Been a long journey but a lot of frontier stuff in some ways.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
autospeed..ehe ive got a subscription to them too..keep an eye on there in the next couple of weeks ;)

New turbo will be nuts cisco..definately..get a ball bearing turbo, boost it to 20psi!

160kw from 1.3lt would be awesome. Get a elec boost controller to limit boost in the lower gears so you dont loose too much traction and then you will be flying into the high 12s

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah both very good ideas.

At present the dual stage boost controller will suffice, but yeah would be cool to adjust boost exactly for each gear. Do elec boost controllers have input wires for a gear switch or something?

Would need to run like 6psi in 1st gear, 11psi in 2nd, 18psi in the rest. baha.

Back