Reconditioned or scrapyard?

CMF_spagatoni

» CMF Member
I found a site that deals in reconditioned, nissan only engines. They'll replace your engine with one of thiers - even pick up your car and deliver it back to you. They only want engines that are in good condition though. I'm assuming then, that these recons were probably very high mileage.

As i want to upgrade to a 1.3 my question is, do i go for the hassle free recon, or find a low mileage scrapyard engine and a couple of mates up for some micra surgery?

CMF_spagatoni

» CMF Member
I rang those guys and found out that they'd only swap a like for like anyway, they won't do the upgrade. Although they offered me a 1.3 block for £1000!! - not going there then.

Did however find an engine at local scrapyard with only 4000miles at £500. I've told them what i needed (from info gathered from this forum) and they said i'd only need the engine+ecu. The rest of the parts - driveshaft, gearbox, mounts etc., i didn't need, as what i already had in my car would be fine.

Sorry to sound thick but are they incorrect, and if so why do i need those other bits?

Really want to make sure about this before i do the transplant, so your help is much appreciated!

Where i'm from everyone takes the p*** out of micras and i'm on a mission to put them straight!!

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
NATS ecu is a bastard. Basically nissan's attempt at an inbuilt security system and it sucked. hehe

If the bellhousing on the gearbox is the same as the 1.0L i dont see a major problem.

Mabye a different clutch/flywheel combo though.

I think a 1.3L engine on a 1.0L box would be cool. Mmm short ratios. Would be really zippy!

CMF_spagatoni

» CMF Member
Im glad you said that cos i'm gonna get a Jun flywheel to go with the new engine - should be well zippy!

Still a bit worried about the NATS thing though. What probs could i be looking at then?

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
dont take my word for it though we dont dont have any 1.0L's in australia!

got a few 1.0L BE-1's but hardly anyone does anything with them so yeh...

Still best to go over to some micra based webforums based closer to home...

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
If your current ECU has NATS in it then you CANNOT replace the ECU without getting it reprogrammed by nissan.

1.0 gearbox would be fun but unless its after 1998 the flywheel and clutch etc is smaller and will not take the power of a tuned 1.3 engine for long.

After 1998 I think the 1.0 gearboxes were the same as 1.3 so driveshafts, clutch etc are the same.

Before then its all different!.

I did a swap from a 1.0 from a 1996 car to a 1.3.

See pics here...

http://www.zen78692.zen.co.uk/micra/CG13DE Engine/_/

Also an engine with 4000 miles on it sounds like the new direct ignition engines, remember these will not have a dizzy and therefore are not compatable with your old car if it has a dizzy.

If you can make sure the engine is in 1 lump with the gearbox, make sure the inlet manifold is still attached (gasket is £20 from nissan so worth avoiding!!)

Hope some of this helps.

CMF_spagatoni

» CMF Member
Cheers for the advice.

I'm feeling more confident about the change now - my car is a 2000 micra and donor is 2001 so things should go okay (hopefully!).

now all i have to do is takle that NATS prob.

Back