Turbo or SR20DE?

CMF_K11SS

» CMF Member
i dont no how often you are on this site but if u look on the dyno rangers tab u will see a few rolling road results from turbo cg engines and we have a 143kw micra sittin at the top of the list, so some research maybe needed before putting down a turbo cg13de. and as for fitting an sr20 it will be hard but it fits, even leaves space for a turbo if you like?-lol

pepper

cisco

» CMF Member
How is this for a classic.

I just went out and measured my exhaust tip.

Sure enough, its exactly 2" diameter. The guy has mucked up big time and choked the whole exhaust system with a 2" tip.

So the car made the 143.7kw@wheels with a 2" exhaust tip.

After rego, first stop is straight back to him for a new muffler and full proper 2.5" tip! Might as well have the whole system as 2" if one part of the system is, it chokes the whole thing up.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I've just been trying to find a post that mentioned how much boost you were running at 143.7kW?
What is stopping you running more boost?
At least the tip is the least important piece to have larger diameter.

CMF_Dave Bull

» CMF Member
Hello everyone, I am the owner of 'Little Bandit', the SR20DET powered K11 in the UK!

Just to clear a few things up...

The reason we pushed the engine back so far and had to modify the bulkhead, was so that the driveshafts were accurately lined up with the hubs, thus minimilising stress on the driveshafts.

Rumours of the conversion costing in excess of £10000 (UK) are not true. I have spent in excess of this total over the last four years, but I didn't purely concentrate on the Micra or DET, this included my N15 Almera GTi (similar to your Pulsar SSS, but with 3 doors only) and also when I used a high compression SR20DE + N2O.

The conversion for a simple SR20DET into K11 chassis could be done for around the £5000 (UK), and this would include buying an engine, tranny, shafts etc, and having the engine fitted for you by a garage / tuner etc...

Here is the latest picture of my engine setup...

FuelRail3.jpg

Anyone with any question regarding the car, just ask!!!

Cheers

Dave

CMF_Dave Bull

» CMF Member
Yes, you can have my car...offers!!!

My speedometer only goes up to 120 mph, but I have managed to calculate my top speed that has been obtained using tyre size, engine speed and gear ratios...

I am insured under the garage I work for, so I can drive any vehicle at any time!

Cheers

Dave

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey Dave, congrats on an awesome machine. Its totally crazy.

Hey can you give us an honest description of how the SR affected the handling? If at all? Did you change springs or anything?

Thx a lot.

CMF_Dave Bull

» CMF Member
Handling...hahahahahaha!!!

It isn't setup to handle to be honest!

I mean the body roll is quite excessive, but with the NISMO LSD, it exits corners like it's possesed.

I mainly built the car to do 1/4 mile stuff, and this year will basically be a learning curve of what will work to get more traction.

As you may already know, a FWD car needs the following setup...hard in the back, and soft in the front.

I already have custom fully adjustable dampers and 400 lb springs in the rear, so that is sorted. As for the front, it is still standard (LOL), but I am in the process of having some custom suspension done for that. Unfortunately, the company that I am dealing with have a long waiting list, and is damn expensive as well, so at the moment, I have to stick with the standard setup.

I will keep you guys posted throughout the next few months, as the weather hasn't been good so far this year!

Cheers

Dave

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
You said in a previous post to ask questions. I have one for you.

Are you bloody nuts man?

That is all. :D :p

Fantastic times. I want to see this thing doing 11's!! You know its possible..!

T

CMF_Raceworx

» CMF Member
hey jaxx did i respond to you?? if not im sorry for not.. i have given up on my SR20 project i broke it up for spare parts.. it was costing me way to much..and for what i wanted to use the car for it wouldnt have been suitable now im going down the turbo 1.3 route.. its sweings and roundabouts what do youw ant your car to do??

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
yi i see what you mean, turboing is very pricey tho. im slowly relising the total cost ha. not that bad tho, its what you want to spend your money on. how much power you are aimin at. top end? bottom end? 1/4 mile runs. loads of stuff to think about.

for every few bhp you want add another few hundread on,....!!!!

CMF_DaveNE.UK

» CMF Member
hate to confuse you even more but, nitrous is the answer here.

you dont have the build cost of a turbo, or the maintenance costs.

you dont have the transplant and custom fabrication costs of the 2.0L or the cost of the engine!

and the kits that are available are the best value bhp/per/pound on the market!

with the kits available now and the progressive controllers you are laughing and you engine should be safe. so long as you dont go mad.

and you can turn it off through the week and just go crazy at the weekends/track etc.

if i were you i would seriously consider this option.

Dave

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
well if you were me them id be you and i would make you go turbo. nitrous is just silly. lol.

but a 100% solid fact about the best value when you look at bhp increase for little money and effort.

just bare in mind also that a turbo is there all the time and nitrous isnt. plus nitrous is about £30/40 to re-fill. and then ideally nitrous should be keept at a correct temperature.

this can go in to a deep conversation here ha.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i think nitrous is a pointless tuning excercise. in fact i dont class it as tuning. its not something to me thats part of the car or engine package. its not something to give performance fun while out on interesting windy roads, or on a track either. i hope the heart of japanese tuning hasnt been polluted by an interest in nitrous.

cisco

» CMF Member
I personally am not a fan for nitrous. I think its purely a drag racing tool to get you up the strip quicker. But not really that good for a car that gets driven quickly at random all the time - yeah personally I like something that's always there ready to go.

But I can certainly agree about the simplicity of a nitrous setup and also great how you can just not use it and leave the car "as is" at other times..

Back