N12 Pulsar or small gearbox options onto a CG13DE?

CMF_fuzzy-hair-man

» CMF Member
Hi All,

I'll introduce myself a bit then:
I'm currently doing a CG13DE into an old Morris Mini Deluxe! (well I've bought the donor car anyway)

This conversion has been done before mostly in the UK and a guy in Trinidad and Tobago does them every other week!!!

Anyway if you've seen a mini as you would expect space for an engine conversion is at a premium.

The conversion is easiest performed with a smaller gearbox which seemed to come with the 1.0 engine on the earlier K10 micra (correct me if I'm wrong here). As far as I know the K11 was the first Micra Australia got right?

The obvious availability being an issue (in Australia) as well as apparently the K10 gearbox was weaker and the diff and gearbox ratios not so suited to the CG13DE (Again correct me if I'm wrong with any of this).

The upshot being I had decided to go with the extra hassle of getting the bigger CG13DE box in there...

Then I saw a post on Ausmini that a gearbox out of an N12 pulsar bolts up to a Micra engine and is supposed to be a smaller box? Is this correct
Not sure about strength or the suitability of ratios?

Any help gratefully received, I'm not so familiar with these engines. If you can think of another gearbox that will bolt up without too much hassle I'm all ears. Preferably one I can find in Australia though!

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
Any reason why you aren't using a G13B or 4efte? Both would appear to be a better engine in standard form and have been done before...

Sorry can't help you with your question, hopefully someone else can.

CMF_fuzzy-hair-man

» CMF Member
Well I'm really after something that goes in a little easier than both of those 2 engines, I've seen the 4EFTE into mostly clubman minis and they are a tight fit and the clubman has some extra bonnet room compared to the roundnose which I've got. Not as familiar with the G13B but if it's the honda conversions I'm thinking of it still looks tight.

I'm really after this to make my mini a daily driver with decent performance and good fuel economy without spending too much cash.

So reasons so far:
*Cheap to source donor engine.
*Light weight donor engine.
*Relative ease of the conversion(T&T guy did one in a weekend!)
*Good fuel economy.
*Twin cam, EFI.
*No or very few body mods to fit the engine, most other conversions at least need to cut away the inner wings.
*I'm more interested in moderate power and mini handling :D
*Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was the CG13DE was very understressed so I figure down the track I can get a fair bit more out of the CG13 relatively easily if I want, my understanding is the toyota and honda engines have more power standard but to get more after that will take more $$$

CMF_fuzzy-hair-man

» CMF Member
Greo WROTE:

"is this the thread you are looking at?<BR><BR><A https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/46439 <BR>i think using the cg13 box would be an easier option due to compatibility with the engine
Yeah that's the guy, impressive! I didn't know he posted on here though, I'll look through that thread later, it looks similar to the builds bigchief posted on the mini forum and the 16 vavle mini forum in the UK.

Tyrie WROTE:

"The G13B I'm talking about is from a suzuki swift GTI
Yeah that's the one I've seen a couple of conversions (into a round nose too) using the swift motor but they all looked more involved. I think I'm generally happy with less power than those guys were chasing as well as being ummm cheaper...

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
it was the pre98/pre-facelift uk 1.0,s that had the smaller k10 derived RS5F41 g/box, clutch and f/w fuzzy (same as mine)
the gear selector rod is slightly different to the k10 and it has a 4:1 diff (some k10,s were 3.65:1 iirc, and 1.3,s are 3.9)
the RS5F30 1.3 box apparently fits ok (just needs more subframe mods ?)

CMF_fuzzy-hair-man

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"it was the pre98/pre-facelift uk 1.0,s that had the smaller k10 derived RS5F41 g/box, clutch and f/w fuzzy (same as mine)

the gear selector rod is slightly different to the k10 and it has a 4:1 diff (some k10,s were 3.65:1 iirc, and 1.3,s are 3.9)

the RS5F30 1.3 box apparently fits ok (just needs more subframe mods ?)
Thanks Frank, that seemed to be the consensus on the mini forum as well, I wasn't sure if any of that type came into Australia and there was some confusion about the gearbox numbers so that clears that up.
Interesting that some K10s came with a 3.65:1 diff considering the K10 would be a 1 litre right? Maybe the lighter weight in the K10 helped?

I reckon you're right I just need to make it fit ;)

The reason I was looking at the N12 was a couple of the conversions seemed as though the diff placement and the angle on the drive shafts wasn't ideal.
This one:
d7dda3f5.jpg

and this:
3dbdbb83.jpg

Some other conversions look like they got it placed a bit further back with the same gearbox though.
Just sort of researching my options...

Back