Rebuild fresh high comp 1300 oil etc

just going to rebuild my lads 1300 race engine. Skimmed head , cams , lightened F/w etc and was wondering on recommended oil , leads and plugs. Someone suggested castrol r40 any good ?? And the super 4 plugs ?? Any comments on anything that you guys have found to be an improvement welcomed. Thanks as always

Bosch Super 4 work well for us, and I use Vauxhall trade 10w-40 cheap and good quality oil. (~£50 for 20 Ltrs delivered)

Unless you have perfectly cleaned the engine of all old oil then then don't use R40. If you want the castrol R 'smell' put a few drops of the oil in the fuel tank. Any good 10w-40 will do the job and what the engine was designed for. R40 is a pre war oil for pre war engines....

Well tried to fire the old gal up today and :( no go. She kept trying to fire so we moved the dizzy a little then nothing , so moved it back and it was trying again. Kept trying for ages but no joy. Definitely getting fuel spark etc it just won't burst into life. Any pointers / suggestions appreciated ;)

Yea put some fuel down the throat ( probs a tad too much to be honest lol ). Going to have another look in the morn , take plugs out etc generally just try and make sure everything is as it should be ay. I'm sure you know the sound when it wants to go but seems like it needs a big kick up the butt lol.

We have had similar with one before. It took ages to fire up initially but after it had started once it was fine and started first time every time. It's just annoying knowing that it's so close yet so far away lol. I'm just hoping that the cam timing is set right otherwise back to square one ay :mad:

Back