rear wheel bearings

superls

K10 Tuner
anyone done them? reason i ask is went to motor factors and they only do a rear hub kit which is £80 odd plus vat, and it seems that buy parts by only do the hub kit too.

am assuming this is because theu are hard/impossible to change the bearing on its own.

so anyone ever changed just the bearing or split a rear hub? as my plan is to just by the bearings and seals from a local friendly bearing stockist at a fraction of the price.

frank im counting on you lol

fronts are no problem to me, as ive just split a spare hub i have and it came out no problems.

cheers scott

lol scott :grinning: the 2 inner races flick out easy, but i dont know how hard the outer race/races are to extract (here,s my wheel balancing hub with an extra freerunning bearing inside)
attachment.php

Attachments

• SDC10946.JPG
    SDC10946.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 557
here's when i overhauled my rear hubs
616t..jpg 617gf..jpg 618..jpg

the inner races are held together by some black plastic clip ya see in franks pic, i separated the races by screwdriver & hammer, threw out the clip.
old grease was solid so cleaned n regreased mine.
outer races prob push fitted

when my rear hub seal was damaged i just brought a 2nd hand rear hub for £70

i know. the only rear hub i found at the time was £80-90. scrappy guy phoned me that he had a non-abs hub that i could machine to fit the abs ring for £70.

hmmm, looks interesting, but i guess its always going to be easier getting the outer race out when you dont need to reuse it, sure ill give it a go next week, ill be sure to report back, and as a last resort and sort of backup my local factors keep the hub kits in stock.

after a bit of digging last night i discovered that the k10 and k11 are the same rear hub assembly (on buy parts by there the same part number), its strange tho that you cant buy the bearing kit for the k11 but you can for the k10.

right finally got round to looking at this.

i got a spare rear hub and bearings from the scrap yard. split it down and the outer races of the bearings are machined into the hub, hence the reason you cant just buy the bearings.

so what i did was stripped it completely down cleaned and de-greased it, inspected the races, all was ok, got intouch with my friendly bearing shop and got some ball bearings the same size, re-assembled the bearings with new balls, and some high temp/high pressure lithium grease and put them back on, solved the problem completely.

I priced them at our local motor factor a while back. They quoted £54+vat (Thats the trade price with maximum discount) for a Blueprint one.
Found a brand new one on ebay for £5+P&P, I expected the worst but it turned out to be a brand new QH one! I know tits ok because the car I fitted it to was in today for an MOT! LOL!

cheapest i got quoted was £65 + vat, after shopping around. so i really wanted to avoid that cost, i would have bought them at a fiver tho lol.

Back