Rear wheel alignment

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Hi guys, its not often that I'm in this section, but I need a bit of guidance! My MOT is due next month, and it'll be the first one since the suspension work (springs and dampers and panhard rod)....but I've got one slight concern about the rear wheels.

The left and right rears seemed to be positioned differently in relation to the car body. When you look at the car from behind, the right hand wheel seems to stick out of the car slightly more than the left, with the top left of the wheel noticably more recessed into the wheel arch....

I've try to show this in the photos below, and just wondering if I've got a problem? A Whiteline panhard rod is also fitted, and set to the minimal possible setting, so I'm not sure what else I should do, if anything?

Right Rear:

rightrear.jpg

Left Rear:

leftrear.jpg

Any advice would be greatly received!

Thanks

Pete

maybe extend out the panhard rod a bit and maybe straighten it back out?

jus thinking is all not to good with this n=but its wat id say, someone will be here to help soon mate

:D

ps can u add me to msn pete, would like a contact in the audio know [email protected] cheers

Dusk has same problem with his panhard rod, we simpley shortened the rod and pulled a bit on the axle to help re-fitting and it's worked

I think the panhard is set to as short as it can go, possibly bar 1-2mm or so....picture is below:

panhard.jpg

I'm sure when we fitted it we started with the rod being longer, and found that it was worse, hence shortening it.

goldstar, how/in what way did you pull on the axle? I might give that as I'll have the car up on axle stands before the mot anyway....

Cheers

I'd pull on the passenger side axle of the rear axle (but be careful if on axle stands, I almost pulled car off) and Dusk shortened the panhard rod to the length needed and fit'd it back on

All the Micras have the rear axle off set from the front wheels.That's how the boys up north design the Micra, must be something in the beer. In the early days we had lots of customers complaining about Micra's drifting to the left and Nissan had to come out with a method of checking to see if it was acceptable. It was something like the car could drift 3 meters to the left over a 100 meter distance that was classed as acceptable. In doing all the usually geometry checks it was pointed out to Nissan technical that the rear axles were off set to the front wheels which is when we were informed that is correct it's meant to be like that..

you need to drop the suspension up and down until you reach the shortest distance between the 2 points, then put the panhard rod alittle shorter...
get it ready knock the axle to the passenger side and in that second whap it on...
job done..!

mph said:
All the Micras have the rear axle off set from the front wheels.That's how the boys up north design the Micra, must be something in the beer. In the early days we had lots of customers complaining about Micra's drifting to the left and Nissan had to come out with a method of checking to see if it was acceptable. It was something like the car could drift 3 meters to the left over a 100 meter distance that was classed as acceptable. In doing all the usually geometry checks it was pointed out to Nissan technical that the rear axles were off set to the front wheels which is when we were informed that is correct it's meant to be like that..

Interesting :)

And Dusk, cheers for that. I think the panhard rod is on the shortest setting as it is......but it might be able to go a few mm's more inwards? I guess I just have the car on axle stands, then jack the axle up/down to get the shortest distance possible? It's been fine until now, I just dont want it to fail the mot!

Ok cheers for that! What is yours set to, the minimum possible? I guess mine will have to be set to that, as its nearly there anyway....

well, put the car on axle stands, try to make it secure as possible.
then use a jack on the axles (or on the wheels for more leverage)
and use a piece of string in the hole on the passenger side, pull it across to the bolt and then go up and down until you have the shortest distance you can get...
(dont forget you can nudge the whole axle side to side slightly..)

Yeah mines quite short, but not the minimum possible, its impossible :)
you can take the nut off btw, its not a functioning part...

Back