rear drum to disc conversion

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
as above was at chatsworth rally today and got chatting to a bloke with a micra NME rally car, white one with gold wheels and orange bumpers...he says he had drums on the back...and it was quite easy to fit his front discs to them,,,,removing all the drums and putting a part of the hub on inc disc, then making up a triangle bracket for the caliper to bolt to...? apprently it is a cheap job as the only thing he had to fabricate was the triangle plate...

anyone else gave this a ago?

im in the middle of doing it (well sourcing all the parts)
i spoke to matt humpris about his conversion kit
you need to weld a bracket to mount the calipers witch matt can supply and change the handbrake cables
this is the same method he uses on the wide track axle aswell

I am not sure whetehr or not the hubs are slightly different....
I would imagine that drums would be thicker than disks that not making it line up all nicely.
Have you any pics of teh drums being disasse,bled + taken off?

Craig

Thusly:

DSC00836.jpg

your missing a very big point that the front calipers have nothing to attach the hand brake to. you will never get it though an MOT and it will be a ###### doing hill starts.

you need rear calipers to do a rear disk convertion. and btw the rear calipers are not the same spacing as the front ones so the rear calipers would not fit on front hubs and vice versa.

your missing a very big point that the front calipers have nothing to attach the hand brake to. you will never get it though an MOT and it will be a ###### doing hill starts.

you need rear calipers to do a rear disk convertion. and btw the rear calipers are not the same spacing as the front ones so the rear calipers would not fit on front hubs and vice versa.

I did not even see fitting fronts, that would not pass a MOT.

I did not even see fitting fronts, that would not pass a MOT.

hey mate, you have that wide track with the rear disc convertion, any chance i could borrow your rear calipers and discs so i can make up a bracket, and then send em back to you? :)

hey mate, you have that wide track with the rear disc convertion, any chance i could borrow your rear calipers and discs so i can make up a bracket, and then send em back to you? :)

nex mate matt humpris has the brackets

when i spoke to matt about his conversion he said that the hubs are the same
once you have the disk mounted to the hub you can the work out were to weld the brackets

No, TOney has them now, I'm afraid, I could do you a card template if you want?
Craig

P.S.Good spot if that's how you knew ;)

No, TOney has them now, I'm afraid, I could do you a card template if you want?
Craig

P.S.Good spot if that's how you knew ;)

actually a card template could be really useful. both my wide track rear axel and rear calipers are at Matts, so i might not be able to get them any time soon, just need to check some sizes.

hehe trust me mate i have been watching your progress i know you are up to something cos every time i go to buy something really awesome you have already got it lol. i know you have the full wide track and i know that you have a turbo kit ;)

nex mate matt humpris has the brackets

when i spoke to matt about his conversion he said that the hubs are the same
once you have the disk mounted to the hub you can the work out were to weld the brackets

yea me and matt have been talking about that. i am "up to" something different tho ;) the front and rear hubs are the same, the disks fit on fine and the caliper spacing is fine too but you can only get one bolt on the rear caliper if you bolted it to the front hub because the caliper is shorter then the ones on the front.

hehe do you want a bracket so you could fit them to the k10? cos i could do that you know ;)

Ha! You know nothing, he turbo is not for me ;)

I'll sort you out a template tomorrow if you're lucky, can you PM your address please?
Craig

Ha! You know nothing, he turbo is not for me ;)

I'll sort you out a template tomorrow if you're lucky, can you PM your address please?
Craig

damn! this gets even more confusing lol :p

pm sent ;) thanks mate :D

apprently it is a cheap job as the only thing he had to fabricate was the triangle plate...

anyone else gave this a ago?

it may be a cheap job to make the bracket, but as mentioned above, you'll need rear calipers aswell to make this work properly, and these are expensive if bought new, if you find a set in a scrap yard, then you might aswell take the axle they're on too.
also the k11 rear discs are actually larger in diameter then the standard front discs, but they are 5mm thinner.

k11 1.3/1.0 front disc = 234mm x 12mm solid

k11 1.3 rear disc = 240 x 7mm solid

some k11 1.4 = 238 x 18mm vented

all sizes are from brakeparts.co.uk

it may be a cheap job to make the bracket, but as mentioned above, you'll need rear calipers aswell to make this work properly, and these are expensive if bought new, if you find a set in a scrap yard, then you might aswell take the axle they're on too.
also the k11 rear discs are actually larger in diameter then the standard front discs, but they are 5mm thinner.

k11 1.3/1.0 front disc = 234mm x 12mm solid

k11 1.3 rear disc = 240 x 7mm solid

some k11 1.4 = 238 x 18mm vented

all sizes are from brakeparts.co.uk

random why make the rear ones larger?!

Matt H does complete rear disc and caliper setup from new but you are looking at about £500 still i think its worth it ;)

Back