k11 rear brake drum to disc conversion

The easiest way would be to replace the whole rear axle with the disc brake version. This is also the cheapest. You can pick up an axle from around £100 if you're lucky. You will need a new handbrake cable also. The swap is easy, its finding them that's hard.

The easiest way would be to replace the whole rear axle with the disc brake version. This is also the cheapest. You can pick up an axle from around £100 if you're lucky. You will need a new handbrake cable also. The swap is easy, its finding them that's hard.
hello / thank you for the reply / it does seem the best way to go / my problem would be getting one as I live in the Shetland isles and there are few micras here and none with rear discs so I would have to get one from the mainland and without seeing it you take a chance on its condition / I might just renew drums and back plates / thank you again / logan

pollyp

Club Member
depending on your specific needs:
Drums = high braking efficiency, effective & reliable handbrake cos they're self energising but have limited heat capacity for high speed prolonged braking.
Discs = high speed fade resistance and better appearance but fairly inefficient braking force, weak & unreliable handbrake mechanism cos the insides tend to dry/rust/seize so requires more specialized maintenance.

swapping or converting axles each have their pros/cons.

Convert drums to disc
Requires: adapter plate,caliper carrier cage, calipers, pads, disc, disc caliper hose, disc handbrake cables

Pros: easier & faster to source/purchase/install, no need to deal with rusted trailing arm bolts
Cons: maybe more expensive purchasing all the separate new parts especially the calipers but since the parts on an old disc axle will need replacing anyway too, it'll prob cost the same overall.

Swap from drum axle to disc axle

Requires: alot of swearing getting the seized bolts off the trailing arm bushes on both cars, optionally new trailing arms & bolts, whole rear disc axle assembly with caliper hoses & handbrake cables

Pros: maybe cheaper initially to purchase the whole assembly from scrappers with all the required parts together
Cons: but all the old essential parts (calipers, disc, pads) will probably be rusted seized & require expensive overhaul or replacement anyway. plus the extra expensive headache of replacing those new trailing arms & bolts. the disc axle was only an option so will be very rare to source too.

imho for smooth working rear discs, the only difference between converting & swapping to discs are the conversion brackets and the rear disc axles. all the other parts will be new/replaced so will cost the same. I'd go for conversion method.