Rattling from the front of the car when accelerating/decelerating, no obvious source?

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Ok people, just had a problem come up on my K11 in the last few days. Whenever I accelerate, let off the accelerator, blip the accelerator when I change down, or even sometimes without actually doing anything at all, I get a really annoying rattling sound, which seems to be coming from the front of the car. It sounded suspiciously like the exhaust was either loose or blowing :suspect:.

Now, I've had the car jacked up, and removed the entire exhaust system, including the manifold. I've replaced the manifold gasket, and replaced the remaining gaskets on my decat pipe, and used exhaust sealant on all the joins. I've also replaced all the exhaust hangers, nuts/bolts, and done them up with a torque wrench - so I know there's no chance that they'll come loose. I also made sure no part of the exhaust is touching anything metal on the underside of the car (Y).

But I still get the rattle grr! Does anyone know what this could possibly be? I've recently had the car serviced, so wouldn't expect there to be any serious problem with the car!

Would appreciate any help at all :grinning:

Heat sheild on the cat?

My dads always did that and then tonight going over a speed bump, off came the heat sheild.

Check to see if it goes away when you push in the clutch

It only seems to make a bit of a difference. It's just really annoying, because it's so noticable grr

if the exhaust is,nt touching the body, then engine mount maybe dan ?

I recently replaced all the engine mounts (maybe 5 months ago), as they were pretty knackered. So wouldn't have thought it would be that, and the garage where I had it serviced might have noticed? :(

Heat sheild on the cat?

My dads always did that and then tonight going over a speed bump, off came the heat sheild.

No, it can't be the heat shield. I took it off when I wrapped my exhaust system, and didn't bother to put it back on.

Cheers for the suggestions guys (Y), I'll check the engine mounts tomorrow Frank, just to make sure they're still secure. I'll take it for a blast as well, see if I can get anymore information from my car lol

Best bet is to hold/push things till you find it, could be the wheels on the altenator/waterpump/crank?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was doing earlier lol. Had the car up on axle stands, pretty much the whole front end off the car, making sure everything was tight and stuff. Didn't think to check if the wheels were rubbing on anything intermitently though, think I'll have to have another gander in the morning (Y)

loose bolt somewhere? i once forgot to tighten one of the timing chain cover bolts and the washer was rattling between idle-1k

I watched this program on TV where some guy had a rattle on his landrover, he checked everyting and handed it in to a garage they found it was a stone rattling about on his cross memeber. I would check for something like that. You never know. (Y)

I watched this program on TV where some guy had a rattle on his landrover, he checked everyting and handed it in to a garage they found it was a stone rattling about on his cross memeber. I would check for something like that. You never know. (Y)

I just know I'm going to end up taking pretty much the whole car apart, only to find it is indeed something really stupid like that :laugh:

Was that The Garage on discovery channel where the guy took his truck offroad and they found a rattling rock on the subframe

The mount from the gearbox has a metal cylinder witch is wider than the holding screw, and there is 1-2 mm gap between them.
I noticed that when I refurbished the mount, but I didnt change the screw (was hurry)
I have the same rattle when I release the accelerator pedal.

Solution?

Change the screw,use wider one, or, use the old one and put some PU sealant over it to fill the gap.

My guess would be the heat sheilds, mine and a couple of other f/l k11s I've heard have had this rattle, high pitch metal on metal. I've removed my heat sheilds one by one and after each one I removed the noise became less common, still got the downpipe one fitted but there's not much noise coming from that for me. Might be worth removing them, save weight even if it doesn't solve the rattle.

Ok people, finally managed to find out what it was, after having the whole front end of the car off. There was a section on the heatshield that I hadn't managed to remove, and one of the bolts was loose - but it was so rust that I could neither tighten it up or loosen it (it had just rusted itself to the rest of the bracket). I also couldn't get in close enough to saw it off while it was still on the car. Just ended up heating it up with a blowtorch, and bending it until it snapped off. So now, no rattle! Cheers for all the tips guys, makes me love being on the MSC even more (Y)

Back