electric windows power source?

B

bal

hi everyone
maybe you can help me

i bought electric window motors off a micra from a scrapyard and i have installed them (quite easily)
i got 2 switches off a different car and installed them in front of the gearstick.
i have wired it all up and took a powerfeed from the cigarette lighter
it all worked fine untill lastnight for no reason which i can think of the fuse for the cig ligther (15 amp) melted.
i have no idea why but im guessing that i need to change my power source to one with a different current. do you have any ideas where i should tap into?

please help i cant go on buying a new fuse every day

Run it directly to the battery, then you will also be able to wind your windows up and down even when youve not got the keys in the ignition..

If your worried about the battery, simpley install a single 'toggle' killswitch..

thanks

but does anyone know what size fuse i should use for the live

i know there should be a 50% tolerence and i can work it out using the v= i x R

but i dont know how much watts are needed to power the motors?

Elec windows will need a 30 amp fuse, and dont connect them directly to the battery as its a security risk - and is never done.

Ed said:
Elec windows will need a 30 amp fuse, and dont connect them directly to the battery as its a security risk - and is never done.

have to agree, only an idiot would wire them up direct to the battery - go through the ignition

Back