Mysterious rattling noise...

Having fitted my back box about 6 weeks ago, I have started to notice a sort of rattling noise coming from the rear right-hand side of the car when I am at a certain number of revs. It is particularly bad when I am at 35mph in 3rd. I thought it was probably the exhaust blowing where the rear silencer joins the cat-back section, so I jacked it up and filled the joint with exhaust sealant. However, this did not solve the problem. I am not sure what it is because when I am stationary and rev it there is no noise. However, I am fairly sure it is the exhaust. It sounds like metal vibrating on metal. Any ideas?

Check exhaust mounts. Mine made a similar sound and that was because one of mine had snapped off!

check ur bumper isn't catching on the exit pipe(s) also if it's on the OEM exhaust rubber mounts they maybe worn and need replacing...

Well, I have checked all of the above. The heatshields from the 2nd cat back are all still firmly attached, as are the exhaust mounts. The rubbers are also still in good nick. I had a really thorough look under the car for about 20mins and could find nothing that would explain the noise. No holes in the pipes, no splits (as far as I can see), no loose parts or any parts touching that shouldnt be. The pipe is not catching the rear bumper. The noise is getting incredibly annoying. Any further help would be much appreciated, as I really dont want to put the standard rear silencer back on. JA

After I fitted my Janspeed manifold, I got a rattle from the rear exhaust heatshield as it was hitting the actual exhaust as it was getting pushed slightly further back, check the clearances of all pipes as it may be this.

Back