Problem with the wifes Micra, throttle body???

R

roblatus

Recently my wifes 1995 Micra 1.3 Lx has started having a problem where it starts juddering, and almost cutting out and has actually stalled altogether once or twice.

Its hard to describe exactly but having done a search on this forum it sounds like it may be the throttle body problem.

Are there any other things it could be that i can check for?

Therear section of the exhaust also sounds like it is on its last legs, could this cause this sort of problem?

If it is the throttle body can i have a go at re-soldering it as i have read on here or is it a different throttle body for the 1.3 engine??

I am affraid that if this problem is going to cost a packet to rectify then the car will be off to the scrap yard as we only paid £450 for it a year and a half ago.

One final thing, if it is the throttle body, will the problem get worse or stay as it is? Is there a danger of the car cutting out and not re-starting at all???

roblatus said:
Are there any other things it could be that i can check for?

- small ethipian children on the underside of the car eating away at the wires?
- a small unethical laboratory that uses hamsters as power sources?
- you are actually driving a micra as you say you are and not a kids ride on 12V quad bike (i have done this before)
- and of course if your not partying like its 1999

On a serious note mate it does sound like its the TB and i have absoloulty no idea how to fix it. I think you can pick em up pretty cheap second handed, someone more mechanically minded will be able to tell you a little more about that however, if it is using more fuel than normal check the cat, with you mentioning the exhaust it might and this is a might just mean that the exhaust is bunged up somewhere along the line? most probably the cat??

Alienfish360 said:
I have a few throttle bodies, where are you located?

There seem to be quite a few throttle body issues at the moment.

I am in Beverley, East Yorkshire.

This problem does seem to have started at about the same time as the exhaust has started playing up. It sounds like something is rattling around inside the exhaust.

maybe the exhaust is slightly blocked ? not sure if you could get enough bits breaking of inside to cause that much of a problem...its does sound throttlebodyish though.

I have had the throttle body in bits and done the soldering thing.

Also been and got a new rear section of exhaust fitted and chucked a new air filter in as the old one was looking a bit dirty.

It seems ok now, so not sure which one of the things i have done has cured it. I did take it for a run after doing the soldering and before getting the exhaust done and it seemed ok.

It has only got to last another 8 months then it will probably be getting scrapped anyway as it has already had quite a bit of welding done on the sills and the floor.

Thanks for all the help everyone(Y)

Panjabi said:
Spark plugs and HT leads checked?

I am going to change the Spark Plugs as well, which ones would you reccomend without spending a load of cash.

I have had a look at the leads and they seem ok to me.

I would say NGK plugs for yours, they are under £8 at my local factors but Bosch are ok,I got a set of those for under £7 as I needed a particular type for the later coil pack engine(thanks to fordy),leads can look ok but can still be dicky,a new set will almost certainly improve matters,but if its running acceptably well leave them,also try cleaning the distributor cap contacts and rotor arm tip,made a difference on my old Ally,bit tricky to remove,I found it easier when moving the fuse box thingy to one side,well done on the old TB,Ive seen recon ones for £65 to £100+ on e-bay and cheaper from the breakers of course,be thankful you havent the bosch type! they can be a pain and much more expensive but thanks to some great folk on here I may have fixed it ,regards Dave. P.S.i think 1.3 is a different T.B

Alienfish360 said:
I have a few throttle bodies, where are you located?

There seem to be quite a few throttle body issues at the moment.

do you still have any throttle bodies??

would you be willing to post one upto scotland?

how much would you want for one?...

sorry for hijacking the thread btw:down:

*edit 11/10/06*

it's ok, i got one of ebay..

Back