Radiator

Brand new radiator on my baby n when im out and about i understand depending on my driving the temp will be up and doqn but is it okay to go as far dwn as the very bottom line? I was cruising at the time like 30mph in fifth but i just didnt think it shud go to the bottom. It isnt broke becos i started hammerin it to see if it wud go up n it went up. Just wonderin if its cos its got a new radiator

So it shudnt drop to bottom? What about on a motoway doing 80-85? New radiator n took the plate off the left for my air filter grilled so the whole grill and bumper grill lets air around my engine. Make a difference? How wud i check the thermostat? Its just a technical word to me tht haha

to check the thermostat,
drain the coolant,
remove the top hose from the thermostat housing,
unbolt and remove the thermostat.

now when its removed and u inspect it while its below 82c, it should be fully shut with no visual opening at all.
if u can see its partially open when cold, then its seized open and needs replacing.
if it is fully closed when cold, then next is to test if the working temp is still 82c.

look at the video in this post as reference to the procedure
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-95#post-633626

put the thermostat in a pan of water,
bring to a boil 100c and it should be fully open,
turn hob off and keep an eye on the opening as the thermometer reading slowly cools down.
by the time the reading reaches 82c it should be fully closed.
if its still open at 82c then replace it.

Back