Radiator Fan

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Hmm had problems on and off with the fan not cutting in.Checked everything I know, fan works etc. With a larger radiator car never looks like running hot with normal driving. Other day quite hot in Perth and I was doing a lot of stop start driving. Temp gauge would climb near the red when stopped in traffic and go down again once moving for a while.Thermostat okay, new radiator cap etc.
So fan not cutting in. So have bypassed everything and now have a manual on/off switch. This way I can flick it on and off whenever the temp looks like going past normal.That will do until I sort it out.
Running an aftermarket ECU new wiring harness etc I feel problem somewhere here.Still with a manual switch less to go wrong.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Anyone replaced their fan? Mine works okay but its the original one and the plastic shroud around it has cracked in a couple of places, I have re glued it etc but feel time to replace. Would dare not get a genuine Nissan Micra one would cost a fortune. Plenty of aftermarket ones around I am sure.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Davies Craig make a whole range of aftermarket fans but after my experience with the electric water pump not sure I want to support them.
I will suss it out but no matter which one you go for I am sure some mods will be needed to fix the shroud to the existing Micra attachment points. Only 2 at the top so would not be any dramas.My shroud closest to the exhaust has softend a bit as it runs very close due to my set up re supercharger.Will insulate the new one pre install if possible.
I am going to stick with my manual on/off switch to drive it and install a temp gauge so I can monitor temp very closely.
Another gauge to look at. Air/Fuel,Rev,Oil Pressure, Boost now Water.
Eyes going in all directions.
Still not as bad as the idiot who stopped about 1 cm from my boot yesterday. Guess what, he was on the phone.No where for me to go stopped in traffic. Funny I always stop at least one car length from the car in front as reckon if I get shunted from the rear maybe I will not shunt the car in front.Front of the car where all the money is.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
I was thinking about this yesterday when I was contemplating a larger radiator. Davies Craig used to make one of the best aftermarket electric fans on the market. Now Im not sure. After all the problems with there electric water pumps, Im not sure if there maintaining there quality.

Having said that, we have one on a customers valiant, the boss fitted nearly 10 years ago & its still going strong. Its running off a probe fitted into the radiator (old style copper core with metal tanks). Works great.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Snoopy, go to Davies Craig web site and check out the DCSL12 model.
Seems to be the closest fit in relation to existing fan.
Guess it is more efficent than the existing one if what they say is correct.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Looks like the right fan. Alot thinner too. Handy for anyone with a thicker radiator.

Like I said I have never had one problem with there fans, they always do exactly what the company says they will. I will definately look into one when I get a larger radiator.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Well went and bought one from the local Auto One dealer. Yeah a lot thinner by miles.Biggest job will be getting it to hang off the Micra attachment points.More blades and feels very robust. It will certainly give me more clearance from the shroud to the exhaust.
That model is for front mounting so have to reverse the fan blades and the motors polarity which is fully described in the instructions.$160.00 all up.
Just noticed looking at the Micra original fan motor it's made in Italy.Japanese car made in England with Italian fan motor.
Maybe Snoopy with a new radiator fan and top of the range coolant you may be okay. Hack runs stock standard everything plus being air conditioned and never has never looked like overheating.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
The car has never overheated when I was driving it. The only time it got hot was on the dyno, being pushed hard in 3rd on a hot day (ambient workshop temp around 30oC).

It just goes to show how much strain a dyno puts on a car. I was up springbrook today, doing some hard climbing & alot of boosting, temp guage never moved from just below half.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Since we are talking cooling systems, I thought I would mention that I found the radiator that used to be in cisco white super s. I did a bit of research & found cisco had posted a part number. So after a convertion with my radiator guy, we located the item.

The part number is for a 29mm core only. (so you will need tanks & o'rings), but it a cheaper option than pwr, datrats, etc..

Most micra radiator problems seem to be core related (tube to header leaks, tubes cracking). The tanks are very well made & dont seem to suffer from the usual plastic tank problems (like going white & brittle). So for the guys looking to upgrade your radiator, there is another option.

The part nuber for the core is KJ342A.

I will let you know how it goes as Im going to get it next week.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Thats funny - my car has recepts for the radiator end tanks to be replaced. hah

There was a complete and larger micra radiator on ebay a while back - but it was copper core. It was a great price too. $280 i think

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"Thats funny - my car has recepts for the radiator end tanks to be replaced. hah<BR><BR>There was a complete and larger micra radiator on ebay a while back - but it was copper core. It was a great price too. $280 i think

Thats pretty rare. My original radiators tanks look brand new inside & out.

I prefer to stay clear of ebay.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yes it was but had problems with it.Worked sometimes and then would not. Checked out everything but all looked okay. A funny thing happened also. Motor completly died on me a couple of times. Happened when motor hot or cold. Discconnected the radiator fan from the ECU and since then all running smoothly.
I will stick with my manual on/off switch until I fit the new Davies Craig fan and find time to take it to the local Autronic ECU agent. I am sure its something to do with the ECU.I am installing a water temp gauge also so I can get a 100% accurate reading.
Saw a new Holden today parked on the side of the road with the bonnet up and the owner scratching his head.Be a sad world if everything worked 100% all the time.

Back