Rad problems maybe?

Hey all

Hope your all enjoying the weather, while preparing my grasser today for the weekend, i started it up and let it run idle for around 5mins prob more without the fan on, while checking all the pipes are warming up i noticed the bottom of the rad still fairly cold compared to top of rad and hoses, after leaving for a few more mins still the same, i bottled it and turned the fan on just in case i had a air lock (rad as been off in the past) or bad rad.

How long on idle should all the rad warm up?

Any thoughts

How longs a piece of string ????? Seriously, if you had the car running that long with an air lock you would have blown a head gasket more like. Rad should be colder at the bottom, quite normal.

i would fit a gauge personally glen (or a k12 warning light) because you wont get full power if its too hot or too cold eh :)
and there wont be a lot of heat transfer while stationary (hence the fitment of radfans eh) so the whole rad should be hot within minutes in this weather i would have thought

you can easily check the rad with a garden hose eh :) i would check that its flowing ok first mate (top hose off, and into a bowl or bucket)

bottom hose off and just run the hose pipe into header or leave on and let it go through the whole system?
nah remove the rad, and lay it flat to check its not blocked with a hose, but that is very unlikely, so check the coolant is circulating properly first :)

let the top hose run into a bucket mate, it,ll only trickle till the thermostat opens, then when it opens it,ll empty the rad into the bucket

ok had the trickle but nothing else came out bottom hose got hot this time...Thermo out?
i guess so :)
you have this pipe fitted right ? and the heater pipes blocked ?

P6290124.JPG

yeah thought it might be better that way also, due to the distance travelled? if thermo is shot why would the rad get hot? does it trickle in cos i could still feel hot water on the trickle

if the thermo is stuck shut the flow will be very slow eh glen, and a slow flow will give a very hot top hose :)

hmmm thermo seems to be working ok (pan test) thinking air lock in rad maybe from when did HG, when bleeding last time i just followed Haynes fill up run car and squeeze pipes

yeah did have some flow bud, (looking at the time :( )not to sure what to do next apart from see how it goes now its had a good flush new coolant and prob a better bleeding than before, cheers again bud

all seemed fine today looks like i was a little paranoid, ah well bit of piece of mind with the test i did at least, cheers guys again for the input

Back