afm problems, crappy idle

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Fluctuating and intermittent poor idle feeling like the car wants to stall. Also possible power loss and lack of smoothness. Pretty much sums it up.

After opening the amf and checking for dry solder (it was absolutely perfect, full solder job all around to edge of copper), it became obvious that wasn't the problem.

Moving along I checked the air intake pipe, its not cracked and it is secure.

Any idea what the problem could be?

I also pulled out that other part to check for black gunk, nothing.
Checked Warm/Cold idle - both set to right levels.
Accelerator cable just a little tiny bit slack, thats normal right?
Spark plugs great condition. Recently ran dry and filled to max with 95 octane in the tank (havent dumped tank to see whats at bottom though :/ )

smidge

» CMF Member
how do your plugs look?

the AFM itself could be dodgy even if the soldering is okay

i'd be checking the things Jon mentioned first then looking into the AFM

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
I had a major service only 1 week ago, fully logged and I've seen the plugs now myself, they are fine. Thanks for the other advice, I will definitely check my fuel filter, and fuel pump immediately, any advice on how to lol?

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Ok I have now, checked every possible piece of the AFM and it all seems fine, I have a theory that maybe it's just my warm idle set too low with a combination of my current exhaust crack problem (some idiot hit and run my rear end, leaving a damaged exhaust on my micra). I'm still going to check my fuel quality (in tank), fuel filter and fuel pump.

On another note, although my dad is great with carby's and older cars He seems to believe that it takes quite a while for a car to switch to warm idle, especially in cold mornings, is this an ironclad truth because I swear that even when driving at night or early morning my idle will change within 1-5 mins every time. I believe/hope that the rough idle problem will be an airflow problem on the cat/exhaust connection. If it is then my uncle will def help me fix the pipes.

EDIT- also my oil filter, air filter are good and I thought the major service I got would have changed the fuel filter, turns out no though. Going to burson for fuel filter and new thermostat ( my thermo needle is not very accurate? It takes yrs to raise temp, then no matter what goes to half way and then stays there as long as the cars on, even just idle parked on roadside) .

Back