primera diesel, urget advice needed! :)

H

Herr_spl1ff

Hi, looking at a '95 2litre primera diesel, non turbo, does anyone know what they're like and what sort of fuel consumption they get? Or anywhere can find out (apart from the NPOC... ) :)

Cheers

old japanese diesels will be gutless and leave you wanting more, but will more than likely go on forever. I had a corolla diesel (n/asp) and it was lovely, just like a tractor.

yea agreed, the fuel consuption will be amazing but the engine will sound like a bag of rusty nails and will have NO power, even the TDi's bog out before the turbo kicks in....

stick with petrol, and a small engine...

a 1.9 diesel puts out the same kind of BHP as a 1.4 petrol :D

yes Nex but diesels have that low down lazy torque, straight up to top gear and no need to change gear again till your destination.

Yom said:
Not on the older models. Even a modern turbo diesel will chew just as much fuel as a similarly sized petrol if driven hard.

hmmm well we had a brand new 1.9 TDi golf as a hire car and we ranted that for 400 miles and still had half a tank left... if diesels didn't have such good fuel consumption that there would be no point to them...

MA12:) said:
yes Nex but diesels have that low down lazy torque, straight up to top gear and no need to change gear again till your destination.

well.... waht about the 4000 redline? sorry but i hate diesels i have yet to find a good one....

I've had some very basic oil burners and loved them, not touched any of this new fancy rubbish. So I can't comment on them, tho I will say Nex that there is a certain way of driving them Umar can vouch for the brisk progress my 205 could make.

but ben, if your after a boring car that'll eat miles without thinking about it then go for it...

MA12:) said:

Hmm, Sheffield - Hull, M1, M18, M62... Sounds like just the job! :)

Bike's coming up next week so I can go and annoy MA12's missus that way rather than in the car ;) JK...... :)

Thanks for all the resonses, impressive in a short time! So general agreement is the non turbo is ok for consumption but pants for performance? Sounds ok, would get a TD if I could afford but sadly too skint at the mo. :(

I know, how about if people bought some of my stuff here
then I'd have more mony for a shinier car... :) (shameless I know :upside: )

I thought she had just become a member of the local police...? Not having a good day all round so could be I just make sense to myself at the mo.... :S Bike is a 600 bandit so yes, does have an engine. Wasn't going to come and ride around on a pushbike on your lawn! :)

I'm off to hide in my corner again :)

no no matey, I'm the copper :p but I ride an FZ6 (new fazer) myself so you've not to worry. My girlfriends a medical student.

dont do it basically, the engine is very juicy and guttless, imo better off getting a new style primera (p12) as these are slighty better on fuel, or if you want 50mpg when crusing get a new shape almera 2.2 dci

new shape almera TD is awesome piece of kit although not common in dealerships as people hold on to them. Same engine as the Xtrail, 136Bhp and a fraction of the weight, plenty of customers who are getting 57Mpg+ as well :D

Herr_spl1ff said:
Thanks for all the resonses, impressive in a short time! So general agreement is the non turbo is ok for consumption but pants for performance? Sounds ok, would get a TD if I could afford but sadly too skint at the mo. :(

:) yep but its not pants performance it Y front performance!

i was in one the other day and there is a road that i drive along every day and for the first time i found that it was actually slightly uphill cos the diesel just couldn't hack it! the performance is shocking!

if you are doing long trips then they are perfect because you keep them in top gear and you save loads of fuel but if you are going round town then you will suffer sooo much because you'll have to change down ALL the time...

Fordy said:
and they are cam belt so more expensive when you come to service it every 54k or 5 years

ooh are they? i thought nissan stayed away from belts and only did chains...

that is very useful to know ;)

NeX said:
ooh are they? i thought nissan stayed away from belts and only did chains...

that is very useful to know ;)
Most small nissan diesels in passenger cars seem to be belts. I think thats because they sourced the european diesels from the european manufacturers. Domestic Japanese models don't have a diesel engine at all unless its a truck or utility vehicle (and I don't know any nissan diesel from japan which has a timing belt - but there are a few petrols from the early 90's which use a belt instead of a chain. CA, RB (except RB30 varients) and VG come to mind.

But the latest nissan passenger diesels like the ZD in the Patrol and the YD in the Primera/Xtrail/PAthfinder/Navara have veavy renault influence. Damn renault...

Back