Power 'holding back'

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Alot of you may know i've had 5 weeks of complete hell with the motor. I've finally got her up and running,then this crops up,nothing major though (luckily)

On start up the car is fine,idles fine. When i pull away and also while i'm driving...the car seems to 'hold back',the engine management light will very very quickly flash and power resumes as normal.

On a couple of occasions while idling (sitting in traffic) the revs would drop to 600-700rpm and feels like it going to cut out/stall...but it doesnt. On a couple of occasions the car HAS actually stalled. I turn it off,start it up and shes fine.

One time i took a short cut through the estate and the engine cut out completely! Stopped (put hazards on) turned it off and on again and she was fine!

I need to check the air filter as it may be abit loose,causing an air leak. But apart from that everything is new!

Any ideas? Possibly an Idle Control Valve?

my guess is a dodgy electrical connection somewhere hooded, mine would,nt start once last year (no spark at all), and when i wiggled the big plug on the ecu, it was fine :eek: (i dare,nt touch it again lol :p)

Another thing....a couple of times i'd be driving,then next thing i go to put my foot down and it'll struggle to rev (like its mis-firing). I stop and turn it off and on again and it revs normal? It originally happened when the petrol was on the red. So i filled up and she was fine. But it also happened to me on a roundabout,luckily i managed to get round it and stopped. Turned it off and on again and she was fine.

I'm starting to hate this car :(

Best bet is to find out if its fuel or electrics...

If you were way into the red could tank crap not been pulled through the fuel system?

however id be checking everything around the throttlebody area, incase youve got an air leak or a fault thats making it think its got to much or to little air getting in...im assuming your idle is setup correctly?

Sounds like a throttle body electronics problem....a few micras have suffered from dry joints in the TB (easy to fix). The symptoms in mine were exactly the same.

RETEPETSIR is right guys! I also had to exact EXACT symptoms.. all it was a dry joint in the throttle body, there the guide in the forum somewhere around. just remove the metal part on the left hand side of the throttle body, sealed wit ha rubbery compound all round.. you have to scratch it with a knife.. once it's offwith lots of playing around.. then just got a soldering iron and re heat all three soldering points there two rows with three soldered points on top eof eacgh other.. al points have to be reheated till liquid then let to dry again... it cools off..seal it again..and it start beautifully!

Had my friend work on the Micra today while i was at work (seems to be a saturday thing so far :p)

He took the throttle body off and had a look at the points of the MAF,was full of crap so cleaned that up and re-soldered the points. Put everything back together and took it round the block,still ran like poo.

Got back,changed the Distributor (luckily took my old one just in case) test drove it and ran PERFECT. Drove the car home and no problems at all

Just in time for Southend tomorrow :D

Back