Flywheel Removal - holding it in place

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Hey all, just a quick question. I know how to remove the flywheel but I was pondering as to whether anyone has thought up a smart way of holding the flywheel in place whilst undoing all the bolts.

Having a scan through the Haynes it says to make up a tool which can bolt into the gearbox casing bolt holes and then have a groove (tooth) to fit into one of the teeth on the flywheel. I can do this but I was hoping to avoid it to be honest and I thought I may aswell ask the question.

So does anybody have an easier way?

Thanks, Joe.

I made the tool aswell, works well...doubt i'll need to much but its done now was alot easier. You could just get something to fit between the teeth and the floor and use the engine weight to keep it still, but its alot of hassle and doesnt always work. Tbh the time it takes to make the tool will probably save you loads of time in the long run.

Cheers for the suggestions guys. Out to have a crack at it now, will let you know how it go's. (Y)

is the engine in or out of the car?

ive taken a flywheel off without a tool, if you get proper access to the end of the engine and arrange the ratchet in such a way and bang it with your hand you will undo them, depends how much access you have, its also easier if you can turn the engine over.

Back