Cutting out

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Under load - eek!

I have a problem with my mums K11, and I'm not exactly sure what the cause of the problem is........:down:

I had a problem with my K11 last year, and found the cause to be the throttle body. When the car was warmed up but sitting and idling (i.e. in traffic), the rev's would suddenly change, dipping down then shooting up to idle speed, dipping down again, etc. It stalled on a number of occasions, but I managed to stop the car from stalling by keeping the revs up when the problem occured. I eventually solved the problem by resoldering the electrical connections on the throttle body PCB.

Now my mums K11 seems to be doing the exact opposite, it's fine at idle, and seems the idle perfectly, even when warm. However, on a couple of occasions last week, she would be driving along and suddenly without any warning the car would lose power and just stall/cut out........

Would this still be the TB, as its the opposite to what mine did?!

I have had a few suggestions of what it could be:

1) fuel pump/filter, we have replaced the filter just in case, but they both seem to be in good condition, not sure how to check the pump though?

2) something to do with the distributor and possible the condenser on the distributor?

3) a TB problem (my suggestion), but dont know how to test for this?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers

i the car starts up i cant see the fuel pump at fault here

ide say its the TB thats had it..but you should really do a fault code test to pin point it

That's a good suggestions, thanks for that.

Although I now cant remember where the codes are! In the Haynes or in the handbook?

Cheers

Retepetsir said:
That's a good suggestions, thanks for that.

Although I now cant remember where the codes are! In the Haynes or in the handbook?

Cheers

haynes

Retepetsir said:
Found it at last, thought it was there.

Cant get any flashing to happen though?!

thats strange..yo are looking in the right place arnt you? the right(drivers) hand side of the ecu thers a little red LED.
are you bridging the points together properly? i use a hairpin or paper clip

Could also be a dodgey cam angle sensor in the distributor?

(similar thing happens alot here, engine starts fine and runs like a charm. Gets to a certain temerature and just conks out. Can't start it again until it cools down)

If your mums k11 can start again directly afterwards though i would look closer at the electricals. Possibly also an ingition barrel fault... But keep in mind that TB/AFM problems can cause a huge number of random problems.

Ian said:
wouldnt harm changing the TB. Takes 20 mins and they are cheap enough from a scrappy :)

Last time I did that on mine.......one of the 4 bolts snapped off in the inlet manifold o_O.

Yep I'm looking in the right place Rik, and following the guide exactly. I've used both a paperclip and some wire (stripped at each end), and still get nothing?!

Back