Possible New Micra Owner

Hello everyone, :)

This looks like a great place to find out about the potential new purchase of a Micra for my sister! :D

We've seen a 1998 1.0 3DR Tempest for a reasonable price close to where we live. Her last little car (VW Polo) is on it's last legs at the moment and I think it would be good for her to drive a little micra. Can anyone give us some tips on what to look out for / common probs etc when buying a micra? I actually just popped on to try and find out if the Tempest had Power Steering and possibly Central Locking? She's very demanding on what she wants - the cheek of little sisters eh?

If anyone could shed any advice that would be super!

Thanks very much
Rob :)

Hey mate, what's up with the Polo and where abouts are you?

Just phone the owner of the Tempest and ask them outright aswell, they can't lie if they want a sale because as soon as you try it out you'll see if these features are on there or not.

Mines a Micra Shape, and has no extras (part of the reason I bought it, basic is easier to maintain IMHO), so I'm unsure of the other trim levels and what they have.

hehe - very good point! I know the guy's off to work at the moment so I didn't want to ring him again. I'm based in the North East, it has Air Con - so that's pretty good. Not sure what's up with the Polo to be honest, mechanic reckons it needs the engine out to fix a valve that's gone. Though to be honest the little thing is dropping to bits and bashed about all over really. I agree with you on the basic being easier to maintain but little sisters want all the extras! heh

main things are rust, check the front crossmember where the radiator is mounted at the bottom, check the floors mainly in the rear footwells, and last off check the sills nearer the back wheels. both inner and outer.

tbh you dont need power steering, but then again its gonna be her car i guess you cant argue lol.

Check to see if the heater works on all settings, if it doesnt its an easy fix (instructions on here) but might help with price negotiation...but as stani says rust is the main issue...check the arch lips while youre there cos they can rust out (like most cars) if they arent cleaned.

Thanks people!!

So the old rust is the nasty bugga on these then - hmmm. Well that gets to most cars eventually!

We will have a good look. Hoping to line up a mechanic to come and look the car over also. We will check the electrics and the heater - thanks for that. I think I'm getting a bit more excited about it than my sis! hehehe

If there's anything else ya's can think of - feel free to drop a reply!

:grinning:

Back