Port and Polish

TredderK11

Ex. Club Member
I have heard mixed reviews about the performance that can be gained for this I know a couple of guys who have done it to there cars eg Corsa (not really a car I know). Is there much of a benifit from this? How much is it likely to cost? and finally where would be the best place to get this done as I'm no that mechanically minded. sorry about all the questions.:blush:

tredder

i think the gains would be very small on a modern cad designed engine, (unless you were building an na screamer).
matt,s exchange ones would be the one to go for tho, i daresay :)

tredder

the old pre-crossflow type engines were quite compromised, but modern engines are computer flow designed surely ?.
i ported and polished mine, but could,nt tell any difference tbh, i think the valve sizes are the bottleneck on the cg, and decent cams (to open/close them faster/longer) are the way to go imo

Cheers mate been looking at matts website and I'm looking at a gasflowed head with cams shims etc which is not rediculousl expensive lol

Cheers mate been looking at matts website and I'm looking at a gasflowed head with cams shims etc which is not rediculousl expensive lol

get the gasflowed head + rally cams , also matt has a inlet manifold for throttle bodies too... costly but worth it, think its £700 for head and cams inc shims, 200 for inlet manifold. 1k for jenvy throttle bodies or you can get cheaper ones at your choice. Engine management of your choice 300 - 1k ish?? plus mapping ££??
free flowing exhaust of your choice ££?? = proper N/A Screemer

Broony you got it in one as soon as Frank mentioned website I was on it and you've picked up on the project lol just got to save a little first.

Port + polish is a horrid way to describe head work. For true gains you need to do bench flow development. I'm not even going to go into it, but true power gains will be seen if this is done right - it however is NOT cheap.

"Port + polish" should be confined to the dustbin as a meaningless term of sticking a dremel up the port of a head and hoping for the best.

Wow I am very sorry to have offended you Ed, unfortunatly that is the only term I knew of. In all honesty I find your response slightly offensive to say the least, it was a simple question and as it states in the first post I'm not that mechanically minded so please make allowances for me and other members in the same boat!

haha, don't take it personally, its one of my gripes. Have a read this site:

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/

There is tonnes of info on here. You'll soon see why "port and polish" just does not do 'proper' head work justice...

Got a couple more questions, I am going to go for the system that Matt Humphris is selling with the gasflow head cams shims etc but what else would I need eg injectors, also what would be the best engine managment system to use as it obvisouly will need a remap, and what sort of gains could i expect from that setup (i'm also considering individual throttle bodies.)

tredder

i think matts head assy + 1.6 t/b and injectors + an ed remap would give you a very drivable 110 hp.
and quad t/b,s on a road car are a bit extreme imo

But I like extreme Frank lol and Whipit my budget is roughly about £7000 and before any says it I'm not interested in a turbo I love N/A scramers lol.

Thats a nice budget. Get an omex ecu or something on it, and also make sure you up the compression ratio. You want to be around 11:1 I'd say at least. You will get much more than 110bhp then with the other mods you have mentioned.

It's not going to be straight away as I need to save, but as I see it it's better to over budget then under, people who try to do big jobs like this who havfe hardly mechanical experience (again like me lol) try and do it for half that budget and I don't see that as viable. I'll save my pennys and keep you in mind then ed for mapping etc

Back