Polo coilovers

pork

Club Member
Just about to order a set. Due to the fact I can't weld or have the equipment to attempt it, can anyone who has fitted these post pics/detailed description on how to fit these. The front looks simple enough. More interested in the rear. Iv seen a blog somewhere, where they have modified the coilover itself, but I'd rather do the mods to the car. Any help appreciated.

Iv read a couple of blogs on this site and the polo 6n coilovers fit quite well, from wot Iv read

Iv read a couple of blogs on this site and the polo 6n coilovers fit quite well, from wot Iv read

Fronts need very little modification to fit just drill the hub mounting part hole slighty elongated
The rears are a different story

modding the fronts like this is somewhat worrying tho :eek: better to slot the lower one first imo (so as to leave more metal around the upper hole)

Attachments

• co.jpg
    co.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,495
Iv seen someone fill in the original hole then weld on a washer where the new hole will be drilled. But like you said the backs a different story. That's the part I need to know

Think il stick with the polo idea coz there's more info on the site about those. Jus need a answer for the rear

From what Iv seen while looking through the search bar, polo seems to have mire info on how to mod and fit. Then again I am using my phone (no pc) to browse the site. Any links to a better method to fitting collies appreciated.

Loadsa threads sayin 'Corsa b fit' but no info on wot needs to be done to mid them to make them fit. I won't be doin the work, so the more info I can get, the better for the chap who does it

Loadsa threads sayin 'Corsa b fit' but no info on wot needs to be done to mid them to make them fit. I won't be doin the work, so the more info I can get, the better for the chap who does it

Umm yes there is check out my blog "project Charlie" or mintyfresh's blog, there is plenty of info

The fronts will fit with very little effort but you'll have to make sure the kit you get comes with coilovers on the rear cause the kit I had for my k11 was separate strut and spring

Ahh now that's the hard part all the cheap kits on fleabay use strut and spring so you're going to have to look at the more expensive ones and message the sellers to find out what the rears are

I was just going to buy the gaz (gas) ones they're £190 but they are proper coilover rears but for that money you only get the rears

So just to go over this one more time, to put coilovers on my k10 i need, Corsa b coilovers, make sure I vet correct kit, front goes on with no mods, rear jus needs grinding down a tad to fit. Nothing needs to be done to the top mounts

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail, thats how I do things

So just to go over this one more time, to put coilovers on my k10 i need, Corsa b coilovers, make sure I vet correct kit, front goes on with no mods, rear jus needs grinding down a tad to fit. Nothing needs to be done to the top mounts

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail, thats how I do things

Front

Top mount needs drilling or filing out a bit
You'll need a spacer tube of about an inch (maybe 2) under the top mount
The bottom bolt holes (where it attaches to the hub) one of them will need filing out a mm or 2 (if you want camber file the bottom hole if you don't file the centre of the top hole)

iirc that's it

Rears

Grind the bottom bush as it is wider that the micras
Use a narrower bolt (can't remember the size) as the corsa bolt hole is smaller

I'm not sure if the rears on a k10 are the same dimensions as a k11 (I know they're not the same set up before anyone says anything) so you may need to drill out the top hole for the rears

Ahh, Ok. I know the polo collies are to wide so they hit the axle, that's why you have to extend the mounting bracket and widen it to fit the bush. Will thus be the same for the Corsas?

i might be wrong but i thought corsa b suspension was the same as the k11 on the rear, i.e. separate spring and shocker, if so they will not fit the k10 as the k10 has the shocker up the inside of the spring.

i might be wrong but i thought corsa b suspension was the same as the k11 on the rear, i.e. separate spring and shocker, if so they will not fit the k10 as the k10 has the shocker up the inside of the spring.

Your correct it's just some kits do have k10 style rears if youre willing to pay for it

If I still had my k10 I'd just save up for a set of AVO coilovers that autograss racers use

Wots Gunna work out cheaper? The more exspensive Corsa b type, or the cheap polos but havin to mod them a bit to fit (I'm Gunna have to pay co somone to do the work)

Depends on what you want to do, if you want my honest opinion the do it properly the corsa ones are brilliant for the k11 because of how close a match they are but the polo ones are way off for my liking

Why do you want coil overs to lower the car or improve handling? If you want better handling you'll be better off just buying a sport suspension set up! As going to low will ruin the handling anyway

Lowering really, as for handling, anything is better than the bowl of jelly that it is at the mo. It's only for chipping about round town

Right, after looking into it a bit more, I'm Gunna go for the polo, jus Coz the Corsa would be way to much money forthe one I need.

Received the coillies today :)

Should Giv me plenty to do over the weekend.

Quick question, what's the easiest way off undoing the nut that holds the shock to the top mount thing?

Received the coillies today :)

Should Giv me plenty to do over the weekend.

Quick question, what's the easiest way off undoing the nut that holds the shock to the top mount thing?

With a ratchet?? Seriously mate if your planning on getting coilovers to fit and you don't know how to remove a strut top nut your in trouble
The tension from the spring should let you loosen the nut a little then clamp the springs and you should easily remove the nut and safely
Get pics up of the conversion as I'm interested in doing this and if you can manage it in a weekend then I'm sure lots will like to attempt it as most only have the weekend to have a car undrivable

I'm presuming you have spring clamps right? If not get some as you cannot get a spring out with out locking it down! If your near Cheshire I have a set you can borrow

Well I had the fronts of today to get an idea of where to put new hole before I weld up old one and beef up new hole. Came off Ez as pie with no problems

Never attempted anything like this before so learning as I go. Only ask Coz I attempted to undo the top mount while the strut was off. But if it's easier to do it while it's on the car then il do it that way.

Never attempted anything like this before so learning as I go. Only ask Coz I attempted to undo the top mount while the strut was off. But if it's easier to do it while it's on the car then il do it that way.

there,s a lot of preload in those springs pork :eek: you could remove the nut first and then jack the car off the spring

there,s a lot of preload in those springs pork :eek: you could remove the nut first and then jack the car off the spring

That one way of doing it
Still prefer to use the clamps especially if the hub drops and fires the spring which won't be fun

If you ain't using clamps for gods sake don't try removing the spring off the car you'll kill yourself or someone nearby

I appreciate your concern :) had the car on a a frame crane to take fronts of. I jus wondered bout how to remove the top mount from the shock, Coz I tried quickly whilst work was still open to take it off and couldnt remove it Coz it jus span the strut. Had to put old shock back on to drive home so had lil time to try properly. So any advice before I try again to save me time will be appreciated :)

I appreciate your concern :) had the car on a a frame crane to take fronts of. I jus wondered bout how to remove the top mount from the shock, Coz I tried quickly whilst work was still open to take it off and couldnt remove it Coz it jus span the strut. Had to put old shock back on to drive home so had lil time to try properly. So any advice before I try again to save me time will be appreciated :)

I don't think you understand me the shock should not have the top mount removed from the shocker at all unless the spring is clamped or the second you come close to the end of the thread on the top mount nut the spring will fire off and go through your head

I am not on about the car at all just the shock absorber unit

Ahhhhhhh get you now. See, you don't ask you don't know :) Iv got some time before fitting them again to get some clamps. Cheers

Ahhhhhhh get you now. See, you don't ask you don't know :) Iv got some time before fitting them again to get some clamps. Cheers

It's not me being a health and safety pansy it's a fact if you remove the strut top with out clamping the spring it will fly off and if it makes direct impact with your head or chest you will at best be seriously injured
I had a spring slip of a clamp as I was compressing it to go back on a damper luckily one of the clamps stayed on so I only broke the 4 fingers that were holding the spring :(

I don't think you understand me the shock should not have the top mount removed from the shocker at all unless the spring is clamped or the second you come close to the end of the thread on the top mount nut the spring will fire off and go through your head

I am not on about the car at all just the shock absorber unit

:laugh::laugh:

10 er ebay for the clamps or boro

If I took the nut off while the shock was still attached to the car then jacked it off the ground slowly. Would that be ok?

Back