Please Help - NATS Problem

Hi all

My girlfriend just tried to use the micra and it ran for 5 seconds and cut out. It did this several times and now wont even fire. The check engine light is constantly flashing also.

I have checked the ECU for codes and i'm getting odd codes like 141 and 142. Having searched the forum I have come to the conclusion that the NATS has given up and blacklisted the key or similar.

I have read that there is a way of disabling NATS. Obviously as it's sensitive information it's not readily available.
I was wondering if someone could PM me the instructions?

I can prove that the car is mine as you should be able to look at my previous posts that i have made over the last few years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Your micras nats system has locked out, possibly can get it re-programmed failing that I can provide an ECU that will remove the nats issue entirely but you will loose the immobiliser function of NATS (everything else will be the same)

Your micras nats system has locked out, possibly can get it re-programmed failing that I can provide an ECU that will remove the nats issue entirely but you will loose the immobiliser function of NATS (everything else will be the same)

Thats bad news. How do I go about getting it reprogrammed?
Also, how much would you sell me a 'piggyback' unit to remove the NATS system for?

Its not a piggy back, its an ECU swap. Its £100+ the price of a non natc ecu. You just plug it straight in. Try contacting your local nissan garage first and get a quote off them.

UPDATE: I've now found out what has caused this malfunction. Before calling auto electricians etc. to recode the key I thought i'd check the ECU connections.
To my horror the carpet was wet and so was the ECU. I've opened up the ECU and cleaned the parts where it had got damp (there was a build up of antifreeze) in parts. Hopefully once the ECU is dry and connectors in car it may work again (I wont hold my breath though).

Obviously, the heater matrix is leaking or the pipework associated with it. Has anyone had a matrix fail? Is it easy enough to change?

Paul

quite often dash out to do that. Its not too bad depending on what's been played with on it. Interesting however that was the cause of failure.

your ecu might be ok paul, i cleaned up a flood damaged auto k11 ecu once with a sandblaster gun with sawdust in (river sediment and light corrosion on the pcb) and it worked fine :wasntme:

quite often dash out to do that. Its not too bad depending on what's been played with on it. Interesting however that was the cause of failure.

Yes - i should imagine its quite unusual.

your ecu might be ok paul, i cleaned up a flood damaged auto k11 ecu once with a sandblaster gun with sawdust in (river sediment and light corrosion on the pcb) and it worked fine :wasntme:

Fantastic!!! It did have solidified antifreeze on the circuit board which i've cleaned with alcohol. It's come up quite nice now (fingers crossed it will work when i've dried out the car)

My next problem is getting to the heater matrix. According to the haynes it says i've got to remove the dash etc. which involves airbag/steering wheel removal and it's got security torx bolts holding the airbag. I've already removed the heater control facia but it doesn't look like i can get to the matrix properly.

Is it possible to remove the dash without removing the airbag/steering wheel?

Many thanks

Paul

ECUs are actually coated during manufacturing to prevent stuff like this happening... Cant say I would recommend sand blasting it, usually isopropyl alcohol works best.

UPDATE:

Thanks for all your help fella's with my problem.

Car is now fixed with a new heater matrix and by cleaning up/drying out the ECU. It was relatively easy but time consuming to do.

It took about 4 hrs in total from start to finish.

Again, many thanks for your help

cosmic, try running a garden hose down the windscreen LH or take it to a car wash and check of there are any drips or leaks behind the glovebox.

This problem happened to mine couple weeks ago on my holiday trip during a monsoon and the carpet & ecu was soaked.

after taking the dash out, the source of the leak was traced back to the female plastic clips on the chassis which holds the scuttle panel down and the other green clip which helps locate the windscreen, both are directly over the fan duct.

what happens is that over the years the rubber seal degrades between the plastic clips and the chassis until eventually it cracks and allows water from from the windscreen to seep past and down into the fan duct.

if the leak is bad, water would trickle along the vent system and down to the ecu.

Back