• This is an archive of the old Blogs system from the previous software. If you would like your blog entries moving/merging into the relevant forum/thread, please PM James. These blogs are READ ONLY. Replies CANNOT be made.

Passenger side continued..

This is the floor where I had to seperate it...

attachment.php

I then cut out the damaged part of the inner sill and cut a length of pre shaped steel strip to size. I used 2"x1" as its the right width for the lower face of the sill and was the right height to fill the area the damage was present.
After trial fitting a few times (you have to play about with the edges to get a good fit) I took this snap...

attachment.php

The smaller the gap the stronger and neater your weld will be. It doesn't line up with the outer sill in the pic but I am replacing that anyway. Don't worry about spending ages lineing it up as it takes less time to sort problems here than to try and fix things when everything is welded together!
Clamp it up...

attachment.php

After fitting this clamp I spent a bit of time positioning the repair section and sticking more clamps on.
When you are 100% happy, tack it in place...

attachment.php

As you can see I managed to burn a bit of a hole with one of my tacks. I have a whole list of excuses for when this happens! :laugh:

Then run a seam of weld between each tack. When doing this don't just weld from one side to the other or it will warp out of shape. Weld the 2 outer ones then work your way in alternatly. That keeps everything straight!

attachment.php

I never pretend to be a good welder but by the time I'd run the angle grinder over this it looked great! For tidying up welds use a flap wheel on your angle grinder rather than a grinding disc. You get better and faster results.

Hopefully I'll get a bit more done tomorrow.

To finish off with I stuck my new plate on the car. I think it looks great, everyone else in the workshop thinks it was a waste of money and makes me look like a tw@t! I don't care, its my garage and my plate on my Micra! :laugh:

attachment.php

Back