• This is an archive of the old Blogs system from the previous software. If you would like your blog entries moving/merging into the relevant forum/thread, please PM James. These blogs are READ ONLY. Replies CANNOT be made.

Welding up the drivers side!

My Super S drivers side sill had been the victim of previous 'repairs' It was holed again and needed fixed before I can MOT it.

I faced the decision, do I patch it up or do I fix it well?!

As the car is to be used on the track it need to be strong and if I ever make it to an MSC meet I don't want everyone laughing at my lumpy sills so I had to make it strong!

I began by knocking away all the loose rust. Imagine my surprise and delight when a large lump of filler and cardboard fell off! Full sill panel needed.

After I finished removing the damaged area I realised there was nothing left to weld the sill to...

attachment.php

attachment.php

So todays hungover was worked off by welding, cutting, shaping and grinding!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

For this I used various thicknesses of angle sections. We get them from CV panels in Glasgow. They are pretty cheap and very versatile especially for stuff like this. We usually have 10mm x10mm, 20mm x 20mm and 50mm x10mm lying about especially for Micra sills. It is good because your repairs look neater and are stronger than spending all day trying to cut flat, straight strips from sheets of steel!

attachment.php

As an apprentice, I was always told to use the correct tool for the job. Here is a shot of the sill being held in place with 2 valve spring compressors and 2 old scissor jacks! LOL!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not the neatest but thats for the painter to worry about LOL!

Back